05 no hot start

GreasyFingers

Reaction score
One of my neighbors has an 05 with 90k miles that wont start when hot and I'm trying to give him a hand with it. I know what the usual suspects are with this problem but I am trying to narrow it down. I am still learning on the 6.0s.

Here is the data I've collected.

KOEO (cold motor)

FICM 47.5-48 v

ICP 419psi

IPR 14.84%

KOER (cold motor)

FICM 47.5-48 v

ICP 1260psi

IPR 28.91%

With a hard acceleration IPR maxed out at 74.24%, while attempting a hot start IPR stays at 14.xx %

ICP will quickly climb to 6-700psi while attempting a hot restart.

Am I right in figuring that the problem is a bad ICP given the high pressure KOEO, and it does not have a high pressure oil leak given the low duty cycle during hot/cold starts, and being in the mid 70s% during hard acceleration?

Also can the ICP and IPR be accessed without pulling the turbo?

Jomax

Reaction score
It's is possible to pull both without removal of turbo, the ICP sensor is on passenger valve cover, very easy. The IPR is the hard one being under the turbo. But it is possible to remove but hard.

Now on the issue, it can be a lot of things. Dummy plugs, standpipes, orings on top of injectors, oil rail nipple orings, to the sensors. Just finished fixing a 6.0 with a hot start issue and ended up being the oil rail nipple orings.

Just don't throw parts to try to fix it. Find out where it's loosing pressure.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

GreasyFingers

Reaction score
I forgot that the ICP was moved on the later years. I will unplug it and see what happens. ICP should read 0-15 psi at KOEO right?

GreasyFingers

Reaction score
I unplugged the ICP and it fired right up. What had me confused was the high ICP at KOEO, but the duty cycle wasn't increasing when cranking.

GreasyFingers

Reaction score
No not really. This guy kept jerking me around so I told him he was on his own. I do quite a bit of side work and always have a couple SD's (mostly 7.3's) in the drive. He lives in the neighborhood stopped by looking for help. We agreed on a small fee to cover my time for the diagnostic work. Once I figured the issue was the ICP and told him I could get him an OEM Ford ICP for $100. He also had a p0299, the boots looked new, and the plastic cac pipe was good. The vgt was sticking and really lagging on the bottom end then suddenly and harshly kick in. So I let him know he likely had a turbo problem. He got all butt hurt and thought I was taking him for a ride, saying he a can get and ICP off ebay for half that and a bunch of other crap. So Eff him, hope he pops a head gasket.

Latest posts

Members online