05 vs 06

6speedsd

Reaction score
If you had to chose between 2 basically identical trucks, with the biggest difference being that one is a 2005 and the other is a 2006, which would you choose? And why? Like I said, near identical trucks, same trim package, etc. I've heard 05's had injector issues, but as I said its just what I've heard. Unsure of th truth behind it.

Trying to pick between 2 trucks. Both F350's, both CC, one is lariat and other is XLT. I'd rather have leather, but I'm not picking a truck just because of that. Both trucks are under 165000 miles. No service records showing up on the 05. At least that's what the dealership told me. Never brought in for recall either. Haven't asked about the 06 yet.

So let's hear it. What would y'all do?

rentstdi

Reaction score
January 06 is when the engine heads swapped from an 18mm dowel pin to 20mm. Thats all I know...

kyle43335

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
If you had to chose between 2 basically identical trucks, with the biggest difference being that one is a 2005 and the other is a 2006, which would you choose? And why? Like I said, near identical trucks, same trim package, etc. I've heard 05's had injector issues, but as I said its just what I've heard. Unsure of th truth behind it.

Trying to pick between 2 trucks. Both F350's, both CC, one is lariat and other is XLT. I'd rather have leather, but I'm not picking a truck just because of that. Both trucks are under 165000 miles. No service records showing up on the 05. At least that's what the dealership told me. Never brought in for recall either. Haven't asked about the 06 yet.

So let's hear it. What would y'all do?

either truck wont matter.

06_Whitebull

Reaction score
Get an oasis on both, it'll show what service and recall the dealerships have done. A carfax too. I almost bought a truck from a guy with a clean title in hand; wound up being a washed title. Ran a carfax and found out it had been rolled, totalled by the insurance, bought from a yard witha salvage title, fixed, a rebuilt title issued and then sold out of state where the new owner didn't report the previous damage; clean title issued.

What is the $$$ difference between them?

I didn't think I would ever want a truck with leather, I dunno, something about leather in a truck. But, when the bowtie died and had to get another truck, the price was right. Mine is a lariat with heated seats and I love it.

6speedsd

Reaction score
Well I cut grass for a living so cloth seats don't hold up long for me. Price is $20,000 for the 05 with 117000 miles, and $17,000 for 06 with 160,000 miles.

I asked the dealer for oasis on the 05 last week. They had no idea what I was talking about. Shocker right! They know nothing about the cars they sell.

6speedsd

Reaction score
Well this was a sales woman I talked to. She got with the service dept and they said it showed no service records at all. Never brought in for recall work either. Mayr I should have called service dept and talked to them myself. Haven't asked about the 06 yet. Oasis is a Ford thing isn't it?

06_Whitebull

Reaction score
Yes. Call the service department direct and talk with them, but I would still call a different dealer. With the '05 having that low miles on it chances are that if it had head gasket issues it would have been warrantied. '06 hard to say.

yeehaw

Reaction score
first thing i look for is how the coolant looks and how the tank looks, second thing is i used my CTS to read temps at normal operating temps. And also checked FICM voltage. Besides that it's like buying any other used vehicle. My last 06 was built in 9/05 and my current one is 7/05 and bolt run great. My current one just has more fancy options LOL

Mdub707

Reaction score
Get a scanner, drive both and watch oil temp against coolant temp. It will tell you which one is going to need work sooner...

6speedsd

Reaction score
I had already planned on doing that. Going to look tomorrow. Already told them not to run it at all before I get there. Want to see a cold start. And I'll have my X3 hooked up to watch ect vs eot. That is if they'll let me drive it long enough to warm up good! They usually have truck running on fumes, and constantly say we better not go far or we'll run out of fuel. It's 100+ degrees here, so truck will warm up fast. Sight unseen, I'm leading more towards the 05. Leather interior and more options. Plus it has some already added goodies like 08 tailgate and taillights, exhaust and intake, DVD player in headliner, gooseneck hitch in the back. Maybe I'll get lucky and she's already deleted and studded! Can't get my hopes up though. Tool it to a local dealer last weekend and they offered me $6800 for mine on trade. Pissed me off. Book on mine as trade in is $10,500. And that's as bone stock. Going back to where I bought my 04 at. They did me right on my last trade.

6speedsd

Reaction score
Ended up buying the 05. Everything checked out ok when I drove it. Temps look good, runs great, shifts great. Already has intake and exhaust, 08 tailgate and tail lights, damn near every power option available, egr cooler is deleted but dealer put valve back on. Actually talked them down almost $2,000 off the price because of a couple scratches they didn't show in pics. They also let me drive an hour Saturday to come see and test drive it without telling me it was sitting on the rack in service getting the ac redone! Had to drive back up there Monday to drive it and make the deal. At least I have a new ac system!!

6speedsd

Reaction score
Yea I wish it worked that way. Momma doesn't see it that way. I don't plan on doing much to this one. Probably won't tune it, at least not for a while anyways. Might work on doing some longevity mods first. Better filtration, cooling, stuff like that.

6speedsd

Reaction score
She was good with me an my 04. Let's me add all sorts of goodies. But that was all before kids. Now we have 2 so her perspective has changed a bit.

6speedsd

Reaction score
Well I thought so until this morning. Went out to crank it up, and it took a minute to start. Fired over and went dead. Cranked again and it started bucking and surging like it just didn't want to run. After about 10 seconds it cleared up. Checked the codes and got a cylinder contribution on #3. Really!! Not even a week in and I'm getting injector issues? I checked it before I bought it, no codes. I checked it after I drove it, no codes. Checked it a couple days ago, no codes. I've put nearly 300 miles on it in the past week. Checked FICM voltages today just to make sure. 48v key on, 47.4 during crank, and 48 when running. I'm going to order in some Rev X and see if that clears up my injector. Not sure what else it could be. Probably why it runs so rough on a cold start. Injector sticking a little. Bought it from a Ford dealer, and they claim they change all fluids and such before the list it for sale. Pulled the dipstick today and the oil is almost black, so obviously it hasn't been changed recently. It's overfilled too. Doesn't surprise me.

Got a call from the dealer Friday saying they screwed up on the paperwork and mistakenly charged me a business tax when they shouldn't have. Say I have to come back and sign a couple more papers to clear that up. I live over an hour away from this dealer. This makes the 3rd time I've had to drive up there for this truck. First time I called to make sure they still had the truck. They said they did, and to come on and look at it. I make the drive, get there and they can't find the truck on the lot. Turns out its on the rack back in service getting the AC repaired. First wasted trip. Went back 2 days later to drive it and bought it that day. I was there for almost 4 1/2 hours that day. They get in no hurry at all. Now I have to make that drive back again because they screwed up yet again. Oh well, I wouldn't expect anything less from the local dealers in this area. Damn near all of them have a bad reputation.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.