06 transmission fluid

yannie

Reaction score
Is the rumour true you can only use mercon sp in the transmission or it will fail? Are there mercon sp alternatives?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mdub707

Reaction score
Mercon SP has been superceded by Mercon LV. You can use either of those, and I wouldn't use anything but those. Mine runs LV now.

Mark Kovalsky

Reaction score
Is the rumour true you can only use mercon sp in the transmission or it will fail? Are there mercon sp alternatives?
You can use either MERCON SP or MERCON LV. Any other fluid risks damage or failure of the transmission.

Would you use the wrong oil in your engine? Try using an oil that doesn't have a diesel rating and see how long your engine lasts. It's the same concept with the transmission. Use the right fluid or get ready to buy a new transmission.

yannie

Reaction score
You can use either MERCON SP or MERCON LV. Any other fluid risks damage or failure of the transmission.

Would you use the wrong oil in your engine? Try using an oil that doesn't have a diesel rating and see how long your engine lasts. It's the same concept with the transmission. Use the right fluid or get ready to buy a new transmission.

Sorry I should have said, only motorcraft or any mercon sp rated transmission fluid.

Mdub707

Reaction score
Sorry I should have said, only motorcraft or any mercon sp rated transmission fluid.

That was definitely my fault with the confusion on the other thread. I don't know why my brain just kept relating Mercon with Motorcraft and thinking they were one in the same.

You do NOT need to use Motorcraft specific, just need to find any trans fluid that is Mercon SP/LV rated and you'll be fine.

Latest posts

Members online