175/146's or 200/30%'s?

03lariat7.3

Reaction score
So I am caught between these two style of injectors. I would like something that tows good (8-10,000lbs), but also want the performance side once in a while. (Sled pulling, Dyno). My stock sticks are getting tired with 160k on the clock. Keep in mind my truck is an 03 with PMR's. No mods in sig but here they are, Dieselsite RR, 4'' exh, Intake, TS 6 pos (TS tunes), guages, 38R turbo. When not towing, mostly a daily driven truck to work and back. What combos are working good for you guys? I mostly want my mpg's back.

Tim @ P.I.S.

Reaction score
Well the 175 injectors use the exact same amount of hpo as your stock AD's. No add a tune to that and you will probly see a good drop in your icp. That is why the 200's were born. I have built 200's for trucks with stock hpo systems that coud hold 3000psi all day long. But I would never run a 30% nozzle on them. It would take such a long pw to get full use of the fuel it wouldn't be fully beneficial. An 80% nozzle would do everything you need it to, with the right tuning. BEan's can set you up with the tuning you will need for your TS chip.

dirtboy25

Reaction score
I say 200/100's but I'm a conservative guy. I'd bet some will say 238's and let the tuning take care of the rest but like most people money doesn't grow on trees for me.

The hybrids will be easier on your HPOP and like Tim said, up the nozzle size and you'll get much better performance out of them.

stroker2

Reaction score
I have the 20030% injectors from swamps and love them. Zero complaints. Excellent mileage, cold starts good, holds icp, and drives really smooth. EGT's seem to be fairly low compared to a couple buddies i have who have stage 2's

03lariat7.3

Reaction score
The benefit would be have a nice set of hybird injectors, so down the road when I possibly rebuild the engine with a set of forged or crower rods than I could use the full potential of the injectors instead of buying another set. Hybrids to my knowledge (and that isn't much) can be detuned for an engine like mine, then when you have the supporting parts can up the ante on them so to speak?

OBSWIZ

Reaction score
Detune them yes as any inj can..
What is you goal and just how much $$$ are you want to spend to support big HP

You posted :When not towing, mostly a daily driven truck to work and back. What combos are working good for you guys? I mostly want my mpg's back.

Based on that stage 1's are the best inj...

Big Bore

Reaction score
I am running a 175/30% right now. I would never choose anything less than a 100% nozzle ever for anything including a stock injector now that I've been running them. If you have the money and have future plans to grow into them, then get a 250/200% injector. That injector will actually tow with cooler temps than the 175/30% I'm currently running.

Last edited:

Gearhead

Reaction score
I am running a 175/30% right now. I would never choose anything less than a 100% nozzle ever for anything including a stock injector now that I've been running them. If you have the money and have future plans to grow into them, then get a 250/200% injector. That injector will actually tow with cooler temps than the 175/30% I'm currently running.

Frank I need to disagree with you. The A code injector internals start losing pressure because of the high oil demands once you get much above a stock nozzle actually resulting in less injection pressure than a hybrid.

The stage 2 injector does much better with an 80% nozzle vs a 100% nozzle when it comes to cleanliness but a stock nozzle A code single shot isn't worth the upgrade on a super duty IMO.

The 30% is a great nozzle for an A code and tows cooler than a stage 1 stock nozzle or makes 30-40 more hp than a stock nozzle than at the same comparable temp. This is if they are tuned properly of course.

Big Bore

Reaction score
Frank I need to disagree with you. The A code injector internals start losing pressure because of the high oil demands once you get much above a stock nozzle actually resulting in less injection pressure than a hybrid.

The stage 2 injector does much better with an 80% nozzle vs a 100% nozzle when it comes to cleanliness but a stock nozzle A code single shot isn't worth the upgrade on a super duty IMO.

The 30% is a great nozzle for an A code and tows cooler than a stage 1 stock nozzle or makes 30-40 more hp than a stock nozzle than at the same comparable temp. This is if they are tuned properly of course.

Good point Matt, I sometimes forget not everyone has big oil. I certainly have no ICP/DC issues with a good working single SD 17* pump with the 30% nozzles. And the modified dual IPR Termie dual pump setup sitting on the bench precludes any future oil problems for me.

However a good working SD 17* pump will handle detuned 250/200% injectors.

golfer

Reaction score
in my experience...

the real answer really depends on whether or not the customer has any future plans to upgrade his turbocharger...

anyone can have any injector detuned enough to work with a stock turbo...but if a customer never has intentions of doing a large(r) fuel pump, larger turbo, etc...then we've had excellent results and feedback on (otherwise) stock trucks by simply converting them to single shots w/ stock nozzle and a chip...

more power than a stock injectored truck...more fuel efficiency, without the extra expense of fuel system work...turbocharger work, etc.

the benefits of a large(r) injector nozzle are really beneficial for high(er) rpm engine operation...where the mechanical advantage of a quick injector is required to make decent hp at high rpm...

a stock turbocharger is wellllll out of its' efficiency range over 3000rpm with any decent amount of fuel...so while it's nice to discuss the benefits of large nozzles on 'little' injectors...I really believe that the APPLICATION of the injector/turbo/customers' use is paramount when choosing any injector.

"x" cc's of fuel doesn't dictate any particular nozzle size...the application does.

...and FWIW...I'm running our 200/200% hybrids in both of my DD trucks.

Tree Trimmer

Reaction score
dave, shoot me a pm with price on those 200/200's?

i currently have a forged motor, but looking at getting a newer truck, would you use them on pmr's, if thats what i end up with?

golfer

Reaction score
The 200/200s are the same price as our 200/30s...

I'm not sure I would recommend the 200% nozzle on a PMR enigne...since ONE tuning mistake could result in a windowed block...

the smaller nozzles aren't able to deliver the fuel as quick...so the tuning can be more forgiving, and not result in too much bottom end torque which will scatter a PMR in short order.

If your confident in your tuner...then I wouldn't have any reservation on running the 200/200s in a stock truck...

hell...my 6spd truck is on stock HPOP, stock Fuel pump, 6674S300 turbo..no studs or valvetrain upgrades...and it pulls like a mother..and still knocks down 16.5-17mpg..so I absolutely LOVE the 200/200 setup...stock HPOP...clean burning...it's just risky without studs.

Chvyrkr

Reaction score
I'm not sure I would recommend the 200% nozzle on a PMR enigne...since ONE tuning mistake could result in a windowed block...

Or one failed ICP sensor throwing your timing down the drain when it goes best guess.

CamTom12

Reaction score
My opinion, and my choice if I still had a 7.3: 238/200's (if not bigger on the nozzle!) all the way. I agree with Charles 100%. The tunining ability is there now. Make them earn their money. Beans is just down the road!

SouthFlstrokin'

Reaction score
I can't decide if I want to sell the 175/30s sitting on my shelf for some 250/200s still. Not sure if I really want to go all out yet. But I know I'm going to want more as soon as I get bored of it.

Then again, I could just get a 6.4 at that point LOL

Latest posts

Members online