2 questions dip stick adapter and camshaft

bfife

Reaction score
In the process of rebuilding my engine. as I assemble a pile o'parts I am committed to NO leaking dripping oil pan.
Is there a better alternative to the stock dipstick/oil pan adapter. I know Driven has a beautiful billet piece but really, $300? not that its not worth it, but its there something less costly?
2nd question
what is the real world experience with aftermarket cams? are they worth the $$ for a less than 600 hp motor?

granted this is for a 550 tow rig. with 4:88 gears it spends alot of time between 2400 and 3000RPM.

thanks

ToMang07

Reaction score
As far as dipstick, I just used the RTV from the oil pan, let it set up for 20 minutes, and screwed it on. Re-torqued it after it had a day to cure. No leaks so far. *knocks on wood.*

David N

Reaction score
As far as dipstick, I just used the RTV from the oil pan, let it set up for 20 minutes, and screwed it on. Re-torqued it after it had a day to cure. No leaks so far. *knocks on wood.*

X2 on this. I use the grey RTV, liberally, over the factory orings and put it together just like you would before.

Arisley

Reaction score
Take it to a shop and wave them weld it in place. Fill the oil pan with water above the dipstick. If water wont leak out, neither will oil.

psduser1

Reaction score
Take it to a shop and wave them weld it in place. Fill the oil pan with water above the dipstick. If water wont leak out, neither will oil.

Some of the adaptors are anodized aluminum, stock anyway. Doesn't weld worth a dam to steel, lol.

Arisley

Reaction score
Not if the adapter is aluminum and the pan is steel. Won't weld worth a crap. I would probably get a steel fitting from Home Depot and weld something on there.

Although, one of those kits would probably do a good job with the grey death added to it.

psduser1

Reaction score
Not if the adapter is aluminum and the pan is steel. Won't weld worth a crap. I would probably get a steel fitting from Home Depot and weld something on there.

Although, one of those kits would probably do a good job with the grey death added to it.

:D:pint:

David N

Reaction score
Im pretty sure you can just tig weld er on there...done and done

Its funny you said that. I was going to do just that. Took it to our machine guy that does our farm work and he said it was a no go.

So RTV it was. LOL

TyCorr

Reaction score
Hmmmm? I guess Ill have to ask the five people I know who have done it, how they did it.

neverkickn

Reaction score
Just use oil pan rtv on it. no sense in spending money on an easy cheap fix. Some of these. Adapters are made for people that don't have the luxury of having the oil pan removed from the block. Just clean everything with brake cleaner, apply rtv to the flange and back of the nut, torque it all the way down immediately and smooth out the excess.

Btw, I have about 40k on my 7.3 truck with the dipstick flange done like this

TyCorr

Reaction score
My buddy that owns a weld shop, just called him. You sure can. Theres a process for mig and tig. He was the one that welded another local guys pan and dipstick when we built the 7.3 for his mudtruck. He did say its not applicable to weld something steel like a spring hanger to an al frame but to seal something, all day.

psduser1

Reaction score
My buddy that owns a weld shop, just called him. You sure can. Theres a process for mig and tig. He was the one that welded another local guys pan and dipstick when we built the 7.3 for his mudtruck. He did say its not applicable to weld something steel like a spring hanger to an al frame but to seal something, all day.

Huh.
Pm me some details, I'm always interested in a different process.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.