2002 7.3 Trans temo running 250*+

Smokin 6.0

Reaction score
Running my 2002 with a superchip the other day on the 85hp setting and my tranny started to over heat (250*+) I did away with the cooler that runs through the radiator and just put a cooler that is 14x8x3/4 in.. Thinking this is my issue and the cooler just isn't big enough. Any help is appreciated. Thanks

drunk on diesel

Reaction score
run them in series, but don't get rid of the fluid cooler. a fluid cooler is far more efficient than an air cooler

Smokin 6.0

Reaction score
Ok I just did it because I toasted the last tranny and was afraid of metal shavings stuck in the radiator cooler.

drunk on diesel

Reaction score
I would definitely flush it.

if you're going external, you need a huge cooler. take a look at an OEM trans cooler for a diesel truck if they don't utilize water

Powerstroke Man 6.4

Reaction score

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
Reaction score
How in the hell does a trans get that hot? Hottest I've ever seen was 180 with 5k and a 203 ac on highway speed

Mark Kovalsky

Reaction score
Running my 2002 with a superchip the other day on the 85hp setting and my tranny started to over heat (250*+) I did away with the cooler that runs through the radiator and just put a cooler that is 14x8x3/4 in.. Thinking this is my issue and the cooler just isn't big enough. Any help is appreciated. Thanks
That is WAY undercooled for a stock setup. With an additional 85HP running through the trans I'm surprised it didn't get hotter than it did.

You need to junk that tiny cooler, it belongs on a Fiesta, not a truck. Get a cooler from a 6.0L truck, and I recommend the radiator cooler, too. If it were my truck I'd replace the radiator. I do not believe there is an effective way to flush it.

Latest posts

Members online