2003 6.0. Idles great, no power

Motostroker

Reaction score
At first truck was idling rough. Power balance showed injector 6 was shot. Friend was being cheap and installed only one injector. After that he went out of town for three weeks. Truck sat outside my garage for three weeks and we did not test drive it. Cranked it up yesterday and it idles great! Took off down the road and NO power. Truck can barely get to 1psi of boost. Maybe 35 mph. Here's a list of things we have already tried.

-checked for leaks....pressurized the whole intake system with a redneck tool I made to 30psi. No leaks.

-cleaned turbo.

-map and baro sensors are within .5 psi. Ebp does not register since it's newest update turns it off.

-vgt duty cycle ranges fine.

- fuel psi is fine

-oil was changed with OEM filters and oil(motorcraft 15w-40) along with the injector.

-at WOT all it can build is roughly 48% duty cycle off the IpR and around 1800 ICP.

-it's on stock tuning

-I will not rev past 2500 no matter what. (Park, neutral, or drive)

Here is a screenshot of the truck in park at WOT.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1394422067.607849.jpg
First row
-VGT_DC, IPR_DC, And ICP actual
Second row
-Baro, boost, ICP desired

At this point I'm thinking it's oil related. IPR or HPOP. Oil housing fills with oil relatively fast. So that rules out LPO.

Maybe a clogged cat? (Trying that tomorrow)

As I said, it's a friends truck and I have a good bit of time invested already. Shoot me some ideas to try. Getting a little frustrated at the moment. Thanks

webb06

Reaction score
I guess the map hose running off the passenger side of intake manifold is connected to the map sensor? Not torn?

If you pressure tester this would have revealed itself but just wanna make sure.

Seriously doubt the cat is clogged but it's definitely worth a shot unhooking it to verify.

Motostroker

Reaction score
I guess the map hose running off the passenger side of intake manifold is connected to the map sensor? Not torn?

If you pressure tester this would have revealed itself but just wanna make sure.

Seriously doubt the cat is clogged but it's definitely worth a shot unhooking it to verify.

Yup it's connected and not clogged. Hose is fine. I'll try a new sensor since I have a couple laying around.

78f100

Reaction score
I bet it's ipc or ipr. Some trash from the injector install may have went through the ipr screen. But it will take a lil bit to get the air bled out of the rails. How long has it ran?
What's the ficm voltage?

Rideracelivemx7

Reaction score
ehh even with air in the system it should still rev up past 2500. it may not like it but ive seen em more then once have zero issues reving up. +1 on the IPR

scorpio64

Reaction score
Had one do the same thing to me once. A critter chewed wires on the boost sensor mounted on the air box. Spliced them back and ran great.

jdeeg4276

Reaction score
Sounds kinda like the vains are stuck in the turbo. Common if the sit for a while. Get rusted up.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Motostroker

Reaction score
Sounds kinda like the vains are stuck in the turbo. Common if the sit for a while. Get rusted up.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

I wish they were, I cleaned the turbo and they actually looked great, ring and vanes moved freely.

powerstrokedkid87

Reaction score
may be a long shot, but are cam and crank in sync, had a customer bring me a truck with something very similar, turned out he replaced the cam sensor with one from autozone, and it was never pushed in all the way, truck wouldn't go past 2500 RPM....like I said long shot, but worth double checking.

Motostroker

Reaction score
Bumping this back up. Hooked up IDS and found that ficm sync and Cam and crank are also in sync. Ran a egr test. It never could pass all six test. No matter what the MAF or the MAP sensor red lighted. At this point I'm wondering if it's a Egr restriction. Truck still has no ass down the road.

BTW I also swapped both sensors with my shop truck (which runs fine) and it still did not fix the issue.

webb06

Reaction score
The egr valve might be opening prematurely. Which would probably kill all boost. Swap in the valve from your other truck and try that

Latest posts

Members online