2003 6.0 problem(s)

Short Bus

Reaction score
I have a 2003 f450 that came into the shop the other day and it has me stumped. The guy bought it at an auction and brought it to me to see why the abs and check engine lights were on as well as an erratic speedo problem. Have quite a few codes on the engine diagnostics, no comm with abs module and no comm with the GEM. ABS was easy, fuse was pulled. I havent checked to see if that fixed the speedo or not, but the ABS now communicates and has no codes. the GEM has me stumped, it has power at the fuse box but no communication. I cant find a diagram on it to actually see what it controls and see if its related other codes. Where is the GEM located and does anyone have a wiring diagram as to what it controls? I have been on prodemand website for the last hour searching and i cant find anything.

Atsah

Reaction score
Did you check both under the hood and under the dash fuses?
6.0's don't have GEM's..

co04cobra

Reaction score
It wont have a GEM. Is it an X.L truck? It should either have a VSM or HEC if its a X.L.

Short Bus

Reaction score
Xlt checked all fuses. Had an abs fuse missing in action, going to clear codes and drive to see what codes have been fixed by the abs fuse.

Short Bus

Reaction score
What is the code you are getting for no for GEM communication?

No communication is the key on? lol

Using a snap on scanner that lists the different modules that can be scanned.

Engine
Abs
Vsm
Hybrid cluster
Transmission
Gem
And a few others are what my scanner shows I just can't remember what they are right now.

Scanner is snap on verus pro with '13 software

co04cobra

Reaction score
What scan tool are you using? Do you have an option to read vehicle security module?

Edit: Snap on scanner should see a VSM.

Last edited:

Short Bus

Reaction score
Sounds like the Snap On scanner is out of date or just being dumb. Plug in with a Ford IDS and see what it says, might just need a reflash of everything.

scanner should not be out of date in any way, it is current to at least the first 2013 update if not the latter update. Ive had the scanner for 4-6 months now.

co04cobra

Reaction score
yes it will.

Because it is a C&C truck it is probably only going to have the HEC. Instead of the VSM.

For some stupid reason that is what Ford did to control the radio turning off with the door open, PW power, etc.. instead of all of them having a VSM.

You can look up behind the radio, mounted to the firewall, is where the VSM should be. C&C trucks will have nothing there.

Do you have codes out of the HEC?

Short Bus

Reaction score
im not sure what happened, but now all i have is 1 code on the air bag module and a turbo performance fault under the engine section. Still no comm to vsm, but everything works like it should other than the 2 codes.

Short Bus

Reaction score
Because it is a C&C truck it is probably only going to have the HEC. Instead of the VSM.

For some stupid reason that is what Ford did to control the radio turning off with the door open, PW power, etc.. instead of all of them having a VSM.

You can look up behind the radio, mounted to the firewall, is where the VSM should be. C&C trucks will have nothing there.

Do you have codes out of the HEC?

well that clears up alot. what a pita this thing has been. I have the hec codes written down somewhere, will have to do some digging. as of now everything has cleared up except 2 codes.

Latest posts

Members online