2006 F350

tattoo

Reaction score
I am looking to buy a truck and have been mainly looking at 7.3's, I came across a 2006 F350 Super Cab dually 4x4 with 155k miles for $13,000. I do not need a dually but would like one. Realistically how much money would I expect to spend to make this truck reliable? Or should I play it safe and not consider this truck?

webb06

Reaction score
I am looking to buy a truck and have been mainly looking at 7.3's, I came across a 2006 F350 Super Cab dually 4x4 with 155k miles for $13,000. I do not need a dually but would like one. Realistically how much money would I expect to spend to make this truck reliable? Or should I play it safe and not consider this truck?

$4000-$5000 depending on injector issues or FICM issues. That'll get you studs, egr delete, and oil cooler. And all updated parts. Unless you're doing the work yourself then it'll be substantially cheaper.

Trqmnstr

Reaction score
Cost me $4,500 a cpl years ago
Thatll get you
Egr delete, arp head studs, new oil cooler, heads pressure checked and decked, coolant filter and if your lucky a turbo and intake manifold cleaning.

May as well throw on a new fuel pump and an SCT for tunes and a monitor. Thats another 7-800 dollars.
But like web said thats provided injectors are all good.

The bright side is the truck may not need any work done either because it alrdy done or doesnt need to be done. There is plenty of 6.0's out there that are still holding up fine on all factory parts.
Id have about $5k saved up just in case tho.

tattoo

Reaction score
Thanks for the info. Are these issues something that needs to be addressed to avoid catastrophic failure and potentially cost me more money, or can they be fixed as issues arise?

Trqmnstr

Reaction score
There are many ways to tell f your going to or have blown a head gasket or ruptured the egr cooler.
Take the truck for a test drive and hammer on it for a while. If its blowing even a little coolant from the bottle then your looking at having the egr replaced or removed and head gaskets replaced. Thats the easiest way i know of to look for trouble.
Basically yes if you run with blown gaskets or a blown egr cooler for more than a little while youll probly end up needing a new motor.

248superduty

Reaction score
There are many ways to tell f your going to or have blown a head gasket or ruptured the egr cooler.
Take the truck for a test drive and hammer on it for a while. If its blowing even a little coolant from the bottle then your looking at having the egr replaced or removed and head gaskets replaced. Thats the easiest way i know of to look for trouble.
Basically yes if you run with blown gaskets or a blown egr cooler for more than a little while youll probly end up needing a new motor.

Wow you just full of great info. OP get a coolant pressure tester. That's the only true way to test if your getting compression leaking into coolant.

Latest posts

Members online