2017 DEF level issue

Reaction score
Currently in Virginia towing my brothers truck back to base from Kentucky, got the def low message stating I had 250 miles till empty, put 5 gallons in and didn’t recognize that I added fluid. Stopped and added another 2.5 gallons and nothing changed. Limited to 50mph and decided to pull over when I received the message stating truck would be forced to idle soon. Unhooked the batteries to try to reset. Hopefully somebody might be able to help.

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
Reaction score
I'd start looking for a sending unit.

I have had a million Def issues and 99% of them have been sending unit and pump so I change in pairs.

Tiha

Super Moderator
Super Mod
Reaction score
Sending unit. Sometimes they just get sticky, because the def kind of turns to a crusty salt when it dries. But usually it will need a sending unit.

I have heard of guy sticking stuff down the filler neck or beating on the tank to try and break it loose, sometimes it works, sometimes they are just bad.

Bought the mini/max so I could bypass that if I got stuck out on the road.

Reaction score
Hey guys, I made it thank god. Was literally sitting at a fuel station 80 miles from our destination when I made that post lol, sat there with batteries unhooked to try and reset and that did nothing. Ended up pulling fuse for the DEF tank with the key on. Sent a fault code instantly of course, plugged it back in and the truck instantly recognized the def in the tank, cleared code with my ez lynk and we were back on the road. We could not believe it worked but were so happy it did, brother needed to be back by this afternoon to be back from leave (Navy) so we thought we would be pulling his Tacoma off the trailer and sending him on his way and me sit there until the tow truck came. I have everything sitting in the shop to not have that issue anymore lol will be the first thing I do when I get back.

PDT1081

Reaction score
Hey guys, I made it thank god. Was literally sitting at a fuel station 80 miles from our destination when I made that post lol, sat there with batteries unhooked to try and reset and that did nothing. Ended up pulling fuse for the DEF tank with the key on. Sent a fault code instantly of course, plugged it back in and the truck instantly recognized the def in the tank, cleared code with my ez lynk and we were back on the road. We could not believe it worked but were so happy it did, brother needed to be back by this afternoon to be back from leave (Navy) so we thought we would be pulling his Tacoma off the trailer and sending him on his way and me sit there until the tow truck came. I have everything sitting in the shop to not have that issue anymore lol will be the first thing I do when I get back.
Glad you made it. DEF is little more than an extra annoyance, until something goes wrong with the system. Only reason I did what you are about to.

Reaction score
Glad you made it. DEF is little more than an extra annoyance, until something goes wrong with the system. Only reason I did what you are about to.
It’s literally one of the biggest reasons I am doing it, don’t care about blowing smoke or anything I just knew it was a matter of time before I would have issues, truck rolled 90,000 on this trip and just wanted to make this trip to trailer my brothers truck back to his place in Virginia Beach so I could spend alittle more time before his deployment and trailer a mustang back that somebody GAVE him! Sure enough once I had all the parts I need for final repair and was waiting until I return from the trip is when it gives me trouble.

Latest posts

Members online