3/8th fuel return to 5/16 tube

ChunderDownUnder

Reaction score
Im running 3/8 line from tank to engine. Fuel bowl delete and RR. Will there be an issue connecting the 3/8 return back to the 5/16 return line.

TARM

Reaction score
You could be fine.

Has more to do with your pumps flow rate. Are you running a stock pump or upgrading?

Its always a no brainer if you make feed and return line the same size and is a good general rule but it not a must in all situations. Why not just use the factory feed line as your return instead of using the actual smaller stock return line? Just an option if you have not torn it out all the way back.

The issue would likely pop up at low fuel usage times like idle. The pump is still pumping the same amount of fuel but the engine is using far less so that much more is going to return.

I have always run new return or used the old feed line as the return. But I am sure plenty have used the stock return line.

TARM

Reaction score
reading it again you wrote "connecting the 3/8 return into the 5/16 return line". Did you mean 3/8 feed for use with a 5/16 return

ChunderDownUnder

Reaction score
I have taken out both the feed and return line from the walbro pump to the engine. I was going to use the return hose from the strictly diesels kit which is 3/8 ( I assume). and plug it into the 5/16 hard line back to the tank. I had cut that line just in front of the pump for my previous RR (innovative diesel). I have done Guzzles in tank mod so Im using the original 3/8 feed from the tank. Im running the carter 4600 lift pump from the tank through a 10micron water separator then on to the walbro then through strictly diesels 2 micron.

TARM

Reaction score
Yes with that pump setup there should be no issue. I am still am in favor of going with larger PU and feed hose when you can till you get to the first pump but I think it should be fine. I run a 2 stage pump setup as well. Mine is just a bit more complex.

Chvyrkr

Reaction score
I've been running my AD2-165 (pump only) fuel system from, and RR back through, the factory tank selector.

No issues. But I've only got 160cc injectors in it. I wouldn't expect it to be a perfect system for large injectors, say over a 250.

My old system on the SD was the way you're talking about doin it, but I didn't have that many miles on it when I ran into other issues.

OSCS

Reaction score
I run the 5/8 feed line and just used the factory return. I will probably use the factory feed line for a return but just havent gotten around to it yet. 8 months on my 250/100 and walboro with no issues yet

TARM

Reaction score
Yes I very much doubt any issue with only a walbro. I think the issue would be when you get into the pumps that are double that volume in the 85-100+ gph

Latest posts

Members online