38R or stock turbo?

PABowhunter

Reaction score
My dad bought a 2003 450 with a 7.3 a while back and today, as I was going through the paperwork that came with it from the previous owner, I found a 38R installation instruction guide. Now, just looking at it, it looks just like my stock turbo on my 01. Stock intake boot and everything. However, it does whistle louder than mine and seems to make boost quicker as well. Are there any markers on the turbo I can look for to tell me if it is indeed a 38R? Unfortunately the serial number and bar code are worn off. Can a 38r still use the stock intake boot?

ghohouston

Reaction score
If it has a stock intake all the way to the turbo, its stock. 38r's have a softer black rubber piece, orange inside, that will say garrett on it

PABowhunter

Reaction score
Actually his xlt is way quiter inside than my lariat. I don't know if the 03's had more insulation than 01's. I noticed a difference in turbo whistle at idle standing outside by the exhaust. Is it possible for a stock intake boot to fit on a 38r? Or is it bigger?

dmd

Reaction score
Stock WOULD fit inside a 38R intake. 38R intake is much larger.

Looks like the truck had a few go-fast parts in a past life. Is the PCM cover
carved out for a chip?

David N

Reaction score
The factory turbo intake and 38R intake are NOT interchangable. The 38R tube is much larger.

The louder whistle could be from a wicked wheel or other aftermarket wheel, but you don't have a 38R.

PABowhunter

Reaction score
Ok. That's what I was figuring. I stuck my head in there further and saw that the compressor housing is 1.00 A/R which I know is stock for superduties. I know the guy spent a lot of money on banks crap. Was hoping he threw a new turbo in too. Oh well.

bad12jr

Reaction score
Does it have the banks cast dp elbow. Never quite understood that.

PABowhunter

Reaction score
Yea, it has the banks brake and everything that goes with it. Wires running everywhere for that stuff. Nightmare trying to troubleshoot. It's nice when it works though. Unfortunately that hasn't been for some time.

Latest posts

Members online