38r problem

Noonman350

Reaction score
Have a quick question on my turbo... i have ebans tunes and i love them, butin my daily drive tune and all out tune my turbo just overspools and has no control. its semi frustraiting... my econ tune is sweet and boost is controlled but the other two are uncontrolled on boost. anyone else have this problem?

CSIPSD

Reaction score
Adjust your wastegate, Install a 1.15 housing, or upgrade to a T4 or T4i set up.

Thats alot of fuel for a 38r, and if the tuning is not perfect it will push the turbo very hard.

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
Reaction score
i run beans tunes and 38r. i dont run the redline to turbo, it does just fine in all tunes.

bruce

Reaction score
T4 and t4i are mounts so you can Borg warner, bell pius, bigger garrett turbos ect. Irate makes some really nice t4/t4i kits. 250/100's are a lot for a 38r

farm boy

Reaction score
Have a quick question on my turbo... i have ebans tunes and i love them, butin my daily drive tune and all out tune my turbo just overspools and has no control. its semi frustraiting... my econ tune is sweet and boost is controlled but the other two are uncontrolled on boost. anyone else have this problem?

What kind of boost numbers are you seeing exactly? 40+ I'm guessing?

farm boy

Reaction score
Is the 1.15 housing alot better? Also, if I did switch turbos what would be a good I've for my set up?

I like my 1.15 housing. Spool up is still fine. Pulls really good on the top end. My exhaust back pressure dropped as well.

Borg Warner S467FMW would get my vote. I haven't ran one, but from everything I have read, they are a really good turbo.

http://iratedieselperformance.com/

cjfarm11

Reaction score
In my opinion the 38R is pushed to far in most applications. Its a great turbo but stage II's is as far as i would push it. Some guys are running some pretty big injectors with this turbo and have had good luck. I think if i were you i would step up to the T4 or T4i mount like mentioned above. Way lower egts and way lower back pressure. I myself and running the HFSB from Bell turbos and love it. need to have it live tuned but other then that great turbo. Streetable and tows very very well.

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
i would do the wheel man!! no sense in spending more for mounts and turbos since the 38r has been proven to hold well above 500hp for a while now. its stout.. it will handle it.. i think the new billet wheel puts it close to a s366 anyway, not 100% sure but close...

Noonman350

Reaction score
Alright I'll try that... It's way cheaper than buyin the bigger turbo and T4 kit. I'm just tired of not being able to use my Daily and Hot tune cause the turbo.

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
s366 i think is a 66/92 compressor dont know the turbine side... 38r is a 66/88 compressor and dont know the turbine side either other then its the same as the stock 38.. now the new billet wheel for the 38r is 66/94.

i would gate it at 34lbs as of now and see how it runs.. and add the new wheel leaving the gate alone. in the mean time why not have the tuns adjusted to suit your wants/needs?

live life full throttle

Noonman350

Reaction score
I thought it was tuned with the injectors and turbo in mind... Like I said, it does great in Econ, just not in the daily or hot. Will it need to be retuned with the new wheel?

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
no just do as i said... gate it at 34psi now and dont touch it when the new wheel goes in. but you should still have your tuns adjusted.
there is no reason you should be having drive ability issues with that setup.. get the tuns adjusted.
live life full throttle

Latest posts

Members online