4" straight or muffler.

sethc24

Reaction score
I have a delimma guys. I have a 4" turbo back system on my 7.3 psd and it sounds alright but you can hardly hear the exhaust. How do you feel about straight piped or muffler?. I love the sound of 4" straight pipe but the problem is that when i drive the passenger side window is always down.:D

SIX_OHH

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
Its not gonna be gasser loud. X2 on stacking into the cab lol

Viking

Reaction score
I have the same set up and can only think mods and turbo will enhance the sound. I have also heard that a 5" turbo back will help with the volume.

purpleheart350

Reaction score
I love the sound of straight pipe and i roll with windows down all the time. The only time my windows are up is when its raining.

bakerc167

Reaction score
I love the sound of straight pipe and i roll with windows down all the time. The only time my windows are up is when its raining.

Rain guards, i got my windows down all the time

GreasyFingers

Reaction score
Well unlike most of you guys I’m all about cutting the noise down in the cab. I run a 4” with FTE resonator and Aero Turbine muffler. I also went crazy with sound deadening materials; Raamat, Insolite, and open cell acoustical foam. Just need to do the hush panels and have my valve covers sprayed with bed liner. My truck still sounds tough, just not obnoxiously loud. Most of my in cab noise is from the transmission, I hear that BTS TC are a lot quieter. It doesn’t have to be loud to sound good.

Big Bore

Reaction score
Well unlike most of you guys I’m all about cutting the noise down in the cab. I run a 4” with FTE resonator and Aero Turbine muffler. I also went crazy with sound deadening materials; Raamat, Insolite, and open cell acoustical foam. Just need to do the hush panels and have my valve covers sprayed with bed liner. My truck still sounds tough, just not obnoxiously loud. Most of my in cab noise is from the transmission, I hear that BTS TC are a lot quieter. It doesn’t have to be loud to sound good.

I hear you about in cab noise, I definitely could do without that. However the 38r is way more overbearing than the exhaust. Once I get the cab insulated from that I'll work on the drone, which brings me to the resonator you mentioned. I dont hear the exhaust note much at all, but I definitely get a drone from under the trcuk, does the resonator deal with that?

JD3020

Reaction score
I like my current set-up because there is 0 in-cab exhaust noise. Its just 3" to 4" to a huge 6" tip that angles back pretty good behind the rear tire. Even with the windows down i get very little exhaust noise or whistle, only the sound of the motor and intake. Which now that i think about it, i hate it. LOL

sethc24

Reaction score
In cab drone is the same with or without the muffler on. Heck with the window up i cant tell a difference in sound either way.

Jd3020 do u have a muffler on your exhaust?

Dmstrucks02

Reaction score
First thing I did to the truck was 5" MBRP with the muffler at first , but straight pipe now. It's not bad at all with the windows up

Cody

Reaction score
i have 4" to a 7" tip behind the rear tire, and i hate the in cab noise, i think its half ass hard to talk on the phone somedays..

GreasyFingers

Reaction score
I beg to differ. I ran 4” straight, then with the Aero muffler, finally with the resonator. And the muffler made a big difference and resonator was a huge improvement. But if I feel the need to make a bunch of noise it’s only a blip of the throttle away.

Big bore: I think the 38r would fit my performance needs but what drives me away from them is one, the noise. And two, they're not rebuildable. So I was planning on an H2e but have been looking into the QSSB/GQSSB. It always seems right when I get the cash together for these mods life has a different plan. Especially noe that I'm back in school, mod money=bill money.

JD3020

Reaction score
In cab drone is the same with or without the muffler on. Heck with the window up i cant tell a difference in sound either way.

Jd3020 do u have a muffler on your exhaust?

Nope, its straight-piped. In the cab all i hear is the motor, except at slow speeds or with the back window open. Then i hear some exhaust whistle, but its still not much. Only odd thing is it stays 3" for about 16" past the downpipe then goes to 4". I'm not sure why its so quiet, but its freaking quiet in the cab. Now if i'm somewhere where it can echo, like in traffic or town, it freaking barks and everybody just looks at me so i know its loud.

But i did drive around for 3 months with literally just the downpipe and i thought it was fairly quiet in the cab, so i may be partially deaf or something. LOL

Dieselroller

Reaction score
I straight piped mine 5" from the down pipe back to stacks. It's pretty loud but once I turn the radio up, I can't hear it anymore, but the whole neighborhood knows when I'm coming and going!!!!! Haha

Latest posts

Members online