450HP+ Trans Rebuild Kits?

Powerstroke Man 6.4

Reaction score
Okay so my 7.3 is sitting because of a really bad slipping trans

I was wondering what is the best rebuild kits out there that can support 450+ RWHP?

Would I need a new front pump,drums etc with the rebuild kit?

I was looking at this kit http://www.suncoastconverters.com/shop/ford-4r100-xtreme-rebuild-kit-1999-2003/

But any feedback on another kit is welcome. Is there any other separate parts not included in this kit that I would have to purchase separately excluding the TQ.

For the TQ

I was looking at a precision industries but there is no price on there website anybody know the price on one of these? Any other TQ converter feedback is welcome.

Any other parts i'm missing?

Thanks for your time.

Wicked

Reaction score
I would talk to BTS and buy either his trans or what he recommends. My 137k mile STOCK trans (except for BTS converter, valve body, and pump mods) is still living at 550 rwhp.... He knows what he is doing!

Reaction score
I asked Mark the Trans guru On here about what kit to use cause a friend of mine is wanting to rebuild his Trans. Mark said he would recommend a kit from www.transtar1.com he said they also have converters. I never went to the site or called. I just told my buddy and idk if he ever checked into it. Mark knows his stuff since he designed transmissions for Ford. Idk if this place had kits for just stock applications or if they have stuff to support more power. But just thought I'd give you the info I was given. Good luck with which ever route you go.

bigfords

Reaction score
I had pretty good luck with RacerX. I don't see them as sponsors here right now, but I built the 4R100 in my previous 7.3 with RacerX parts. I dealt with Bill quite a bit and he was very helpful.
I really don't know of too many other company's that will sell you all the parts to do a performance DIY transmission build.
I'm still contemplating on whether or not I want to build my next trans or just buy one already built. It doesn't seem like there are a ton of guys who use RacerX, but I would like to hear some more experience on them. Also would like to see how there $800 converter compares to something like a PI.

JD3020

Reaction score
I'll be following this, my trans had some hard parts upgraded, PI converter, etc.. done when i had it built, but its got 20k+ hard miles on it with a bunch of racing/pulling/towing/etc... May be worrying too much, but i'm considering tearing it down and refreshing it before this season of racing and pulling, and before i step up to T4 and start pushing towards 600.

bigfords

Reaction score
What all would you "refresh"? What kind of difference did it make when you put that PI converter in your truck?

Maybe a few can chime in on what hard parts should be replaced on a 500-600 HP build.

JD3020

Reaction score
I'm thinking about new frictions/steels, adding a BTS VB, and maybe seeing if theres anything else i can do to the pump . Mainly things that would be wore out as well as hopefully giving it a little more beef, already had the hardparts mildly upgraded.

And on the converter its hard to say, it was part of the trans build. I've had no issues out of it, although it seems "loose" compared to how some people describe. But i will say, when it locks, it freaking locks. LOL Actually dangerous using any sort of throttle on slick roads, as the lock-up will send it sideways if you aren't prepared.

Honestly one of my biggest fears is having a failure that takes out the converter and sticks me with dropping $1200+ again on a PI unit.

Powerstroke Man 6.4

Reaction score
I would talk to BTS and buy either his trans or what he recommends. My 137k mile STOCK trans (except for BTS converter, valve body, and pump mods) is still living at 550 rwhp.... He knows what he is doing!

I talked to Brian's shop yesterday and they explained to me what Brian does to fit the custom horsepower of my truck ect. also the shipping situation since I live in Hawaii. They also said he'll build it that day and send it out that night I was amazed on how fast the turnaround time would be.

Dmstrucks02

Reaction score
I talked to Brian's shop yesterday and they explained to me what Brian does to fit the custom horsepower of my truck ect. also the shipping situation since I live in Hawaii. They also said he'll build it that day and send it out that night I was amazed on how fast the turnaround time would be.

What all do they do to fit the custom horsepower?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

bigfords

Reaction score
Its got to be mainly in the valve body. I doubt there is too many other tweaks that would be in regards to HP level.

lincolnlocker

Reaction score

what he said^^^! Even the bible will tell you that brian thompson is the god of 4r100s.

I had pretty good luck with RacerX. I don't see them as sponsors here right now, but I built the 4R100 in my previous 7.3 with RacerX parts. I dealt with Bill quite a bit and he was very helpful.
I really don't know of too many other company's that will sell you all the parts to do a performance DIY transmission build.
I'm still contemplating on whether or not I want to build my next trans or just buy one already built. It doesn't seem like there are a ton of guys who use RacerX, but I would like to hear some more experience on them. Also would like to see how there $800 converter compares to something like a PI.
Lol. Cuz they are shoddy...

I'm thinking about new frictions/steels, adding a BTS VB, and maybe seeing if theres anything else i can do to the pump . Mainly things that would be wore out as well as hopefully giving it a little more beef, already had the hardparts mildly upgraded.

And on the converter its hard to say, it was part of the trans build. I've had no issues out of it, although it seems "loose" compared to how some people describe. But i will say, when it locks, it freaking locks. LOL Actually dangerous using any sort of throttle on slick roads, as the lock-up will send it sideways if you aren't prepared.

Honestly one of my biggest fears is having a failure that takes out the converter and sticks me with dropping $1200+ again on a PI unit.

Dude! Classified section. Bts e4od $2000. If its still available. Send it to brian and id bet that he will upgrade it and go through it and I would be real surprised if he charged you a dime.. only cost you shipping.

live life full throttle

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
What all do they do to fit the custom horsepower?

you guys need to use the search feature of this forum. Many many discussions on how brian builds a trans..

Its got to be mainly in the valve body. I doubt there is too many other tweaks that would be in regards to HP level.
Yes, exactly. 99% of all his trans have all the SAME internals. Only thing thats set different is the valve body. My trans is set for 500hp. If I call brian and told him I need it set for 800hp, he would send me a vb to swap out. Thats it.

live life full throttle

Dmstrucks02

Reaction score
Yes, exactly. 99% of all his trans have all the SAME internals. Only thing thats set different is the valve body. My trans is set for 500hp. If I call brian and told him I need it set for 800hp, he would send me a vb to swap out. Thats it.

live life full throttle

He could walk you through it over the phone I'm sure

Dmstrucks02

Reaction score
Yes. He told me that when I was down there at his shop. he said if I could change the engine oil then he could walk me through it.

live life full throttle

I bet it's just modifying the calibration plate

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1389542164769.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1389542164769.jpg
    36 KB · Views: 56

4.0l sahara

Reaction score
I would look into the precision converter but the suncoast is a good converter too. There are many things you can do to make the trans stronger. A e4od forward drum is a nice upgrade if yours isn't fully splined. The low reverse drum can have a ring welded in it to keep it from deforming. Or you could swap in a cast e4od low reverse drum. To do that tho you need to change a few other parts too. The center support can be machined and large snap rings added on both sided to help support it. Look into a one piece rear case bushing. That is just a couple things to look into and for any billet parts look at tcs. If you need any parts shoot me a pm.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.