4r100 lost all torque on morning commute and front seal blown

NichoF250sd

Reaction score
This transmission had no previous leak. I was driving and it suddenly throws a fit and I freewheel like it was in neutral
I slipped it into neutral shut it off and coasted a bit. I then restarted and put into drive....nothing.I pull over and discover the front pump seal is leaking out at a high pressure spray. It sat then for a week .today I
Pulled the codes for loss and tcc .I inspected the entire transmission wiring and pulled both the input and output shaft sensors out.I put my finger in both the input and out put shaft sensor holes and felt very good gears and had no metal.the tft quit working as well. The output shaft sensor was actually cracked where the plug housing is,and the plug on the passenger side had two exposed wires but not touching and appeared to not have corrosion. I found two small fuses blown under the hood and a cracked relay.other than that I found no other reason for the seal to blow .I gotta get this baby on the road as its sentimental to our family...I acquired this truck from a good friend after I received an insurance settlement from an accident in which my friend and sometimes boss lost his life. It had been rebuilt about four years ago and supposedly heavier duty rings and Spicer valve body.We gotta get my truck named Ken Brewer back on the road. I can get a four wheel drive 4r100 for a hundred and fifty if I pull it out. Then I guess convert it to the 2wd. ...that's basicly the rear cone ,the output shaft and that's all I think.previous owner was pulling fifth wheel commercially and o
In level 3 on the edge programmer without adjusting shift points or firmness. total rebuild or maybe just front seal and solenoid pack. What is the most logical next step?
I

Mark Kovalsky

Reaction score
The most logical next step is to remove the trans. Find out why the seal failed. Is the snout of the converter where the seal rides damaged? Is the bushing behind the seal worn or damaged?

You're right that all you need to change to convert from 4x4 to 4x2 is change the extension housing and output shaft. To change the output shaft all you need to to take EVERYTHING out of the trans, install the new shaft, and rebuild the transmission.

NichoF250sd

Reaction score
Incidentally i dont know the whole scoop on this truck, there's obvious mods and then there's whats that? Is it normal to see the spicer stamp in the transmission parts?

Latest posts

Members online