5r110 has reverse- locks up in D

Derek@Vision Diesel

Reaction score
To condense a long story, we are interested in hearing others opinions.

Truck has been to 2 other shops and a local ford dealership.

Originally the customer was loading his H&S MCC tunes onto the truck and says he accidently selected an engine tune when it asked for the transmission tune. This then put it into a long spiral of issues.

It comes to us with a brand new ECM and TCM after these other shops had it. Had a BD tap shifter (which was spliced into the wiring harness) and that wire has been put back to stock.

Has a fresh John Wood 5r110 Towmaster. The issue was the same before and after the transmission.

Reverse works perfectly. Put it in drive and it for a split second feels like its going to go into reverse and then locks up solid. Will not move at all, just like a transmission brake.

Range selector shows no issue.
Only code: P1910 (reverse lamp control circuit open)

Have updated all modules with latest tuning using IDS.

Have loaded H&S tuning with success into both TCM and ECM.

Communication through OBDII port with TCM is perfect.

Trailer brake control module is currently in a fault state, working to fix that as we speak. Shouldn't really apply though

Anyone have an idea on what could cause a 5r110 to bring in 2 clutch packs at the same time and essentially bind up other than a command to do so by the TCM, and how the TCM is commanding to do so with tuning we know is fine and a TCM that we know is brand new?

Derek@Vision Diesel

Reaction score
Figured it out.

Last shop had installed a job 2 TCM, flashed it to resemble a Job 1. Ended up requiring some geniusness from Larz @ G*arhead to get everything sorted out.

Big shout out to the guys over there for helping us out on this one. What a nightmare!

ZaloBuilt

Reaction score
I just ran into this issue with a 6.4. Same code and it only goes into reverse. Customer said he tuned his truck with a H&S and now only goes into reverse. I put it back to stock and even had Ford flash the PCM. Do I need a new TCM?

Roccafellas

Reaction score
Have you looked at the transmission strategies, make sure the tune is the same trans strategy?

There is tqje and tqjf if you load the wrong tune you’ll have reverse only no forward gears.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk