5r110 slams after hard acceleration

disturbed_stroken

Reaction score
Hey guys new to the army, been a member of power stroke nation for awhile. OK I have 6 hours searching and found one thread that even mentioned anything close to what I'm experiencing but like always no conclusion to the problem. So a few months after buying my truck I got into it one day once I came to a stop i pressed the gas revved but didn't move this kicked into gear. No issues for months 3 weeks ago I got on it again and left of gas and as soon as I press the pedal after spirited driving it slams like I got rear ended and then drives fine. Now if I rev over 2500 rpms it slams when I press the gas pedal again then drives fine. Now this one post started into it potentially being a fluild issue or pressure. I've also sporadically had a 1800 rpm lag which I'm unsure has anything to do with this. But I don't even know what else to search and there is no decent power stroke mechanics near me. Thanks guys.

wackyman9

Reaction score
Yo yo brother! This just hit me about your shift issues, may seem simple but I'm sorry I didn't think of it sooner.... I'm assuming you checked the fluid? Have you tried clearing the KAM memory?

Sent from my E6782 using Tapatalk

disturbed_stroken

Reaction score
Yo yo brother! This just hit me about your shift issues, may seem simple but I'm sorry I didn't think of it sooner.... I'm assuming you checked the fluid? Have you tried clearing the KAM memory?

What's up wacky you are on both forums too... Yeah I have checked the fluid. What's the kam. I might check fluid off and on to see if it drops meaning the front pump is garbage if it doesn't drop. Here's what I have came to a guess of what it is clutch's, solenoids, TC, front pump. From my limited knowledge of auto trannys first auto out of 7 vehicles I've owned it seems like a TC issue.

Last edited:

Mark Kovalsky

Reaction score
The TC isn't involved with shifting. Why do you think it's a TC issue?

KAM is Keep Alive Memory. The software that controls the transmissions monitors how long shifts take and constantly adjusts pressures to try and maintain a constant slip time during shifts over the life of the trans. Sometimes it can learn something wrong, especially when running aftermarket software. You can clear the KAM by unplugging the PCM or both negative battery cables. Then it will relearn it's parameters and that just might fix it.

If you mean check the fluid level with the engine running or not running, you can't tell anything from the level off or on. If the pump were garbage the trans wouldn't work at all. It uses pump pressure to engage the clutches. No pump, no pressure, no movement.

disturbed_stroken

Reaction score
Not sure uneducated stabs in the dark. I like manuals good to know about the pump. I'm really lost on where to go from here.

wackyman9

Reaction score
Disturbed.. We're you able to clear the KAM? Mark said it best, sometimes when you tune or run into issues with shift points and pressures the KAM is the culprit. I know on the X4 tuners, that there is actually an option to do it right from the tuner itself and takes about 30 seconds.. In a nutshell all that it would do is reset the "learned driving habits" and "re-learn" them as you drive over time...

Mark Kovalsky

Reaction score
In a nutshell all that it would do is reset the "learned driving habits" and "re-learn" them as you drive over time...
There are no "learned driving habits." It does not learn anything about how you drive. All it learns is how long it takes from when the PCM says "Shift!" until the PCM, using the speed sensors, measures that the shift has completed. It then can adjust the pressure for the next time it makes that same shift.

wackyman9

Reaction score
The science! I always found it amazing, the engineering and designing of these components... Thanks for clarifying Mark!

disturbed_stroken

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply guys I truly do appreciate it. I didn't get a chance to check kam on the x4s do you have to reprogram and erase memory under the adjustment menu when loading a new tune like your shift firmness adjustment?

wackyman9

Reaction score
What tuner are you running? On the x4 it's under the vehicle functions or vehicle options tab.. There's no reprogramming involved on the X4, I'll verify the location of the KAM reset in the morning... But all I would have to do is select it, and then it's done, no programming or shift resetting involved on mine...

wackyman9

Reaction score
It's in the "special functions" tab.. Let us know how you make out.. Hope that fixes your woes..

disturbed_stroken

Reaction score
So had to drive around a bit today and did some "testing" cold tranny medium acceleration (below 2500 rpm) shifted great. So then I think it was still cold on hard acceleration 1-2 shift fine 2-3 fine and I'm not sure if I was warmed up enough for the 3 to 5 shifting since if I heard right when cold it uses 4th but over 2500 slipped and slammed into gear not real hard but noticed. Would you think it's my solenoid? I'm going to clear my kam tomorrow and also double ”test" it tomorrow to make sure both cold and warm hard accelerations.

disturbed_stroken

Reaction score
Yeah its above 0. I cleared my kam and it got rid of the slamming mostly. I did a bunch of different driving today and anytime above 2500 rpm it slips in any gear mostly once I let out of the gas. I had it once slam into drive and into reverse after driving above 2500 right before I was shifting between gears. So I shut it off restart it doesn't slam into drive or reverse. I also noticed when I first bought the truck the RPM would stay at whatever rpm I left off the gas at 50 mph then 55 I just noticed today it's now 60 mph before this happens.

wackyman9

Reaction score
Have you had the pan down recently? Anything unusual clinging to the magnet? Have you tried a stock tune? Hopefully Mark can narrow it down for you now that the KAM has been eliminated... Good luck brother..

disturbed_stroken

Reaction score
No that's my to do list today drop pan change ATF and filter inspect for anything unusual. I don't know if the PO ever changed either so it is possible that it's never been changed.

wackyman9

Reaction score
Maybe if its never been done, the possibility exists that the filter is clogged and the fluid isn't flowing properly? That with a KAM reset and hopefully good to go! If you use the auto store kit, make sure you don't use the rubber gasket that comes with it; it usually leaks and or shears... Plus the OEM Ford gasket is a reusable "crush" gasket.. Let us know how you make out... Maybe post some pics of the fuzzy magnet? Good luck!

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.