5r110 torque converter lock up

rocklefty19

Reaction score
I have an 06 f250, l had an issue with the torque converter not staying in lock up and flashing tow haul light code said tcc malfunction. Replaced torque converter and solenoid still acted up, figured new torque converter was faulty replaced it again. Still acts up randomly on hills. Any and all help would be appreciated. FYI took it to 3 separate trans shops. All 3 said the unit was fine that it was the converter. All new Motorcraft lv fluid as well each time. 160k on the truck.

rocklefty19

Reaction score
I replaced the solenoid with one from the dealer. It locks up then the slip rpm increases till it kicks out and will do that a few times then throw the code. Then sometimes it holds no problems but those are few and far between.

6.0 Tech

Reaction score
Stupid question seeing as youre talking to someone a bunch smarter than me, but is the fluid level correct? Had this happen on a couple 7.3s after doing radiators and forgetting to check the trans fluid level. Sounds about exactly the same as what you got going on.

rocklefty19

Reaction score
There's no stupid questions. Yes it appears to be correct the dip stick on these trucks aren't very user friendly but I would say it is correct. Have to pull and wipe it a few times to get an accurate reading.

imelmo

Reaction score
This is the same issue the ZMBYKLR truck was having. Never did get it figured out. Changed the solenoid, converter, had the trans gone thru, and checked the wiring. Even changed the wiring harness. Couldn't find anything.

In for answers.

Last edited:

sootie

Reaction score
This is the same issue the ZMBYKLR truck was having. Never did get it figured out. Changed the solenoid, converter, had the trans gone thru, and checked the wiring. Even changed the wiring harness. Couldn't find anything.

In for answers.

What happened to ZMBKYLR

imelmo

Reaction score
I got mad at the trans and sold it rather than spend a bunch more money on it. May be buying it back soon though.

Mark Kovalsky

Reaction score
That code can't set from a bad torque converter. It has to be a bad solenoid or a wiring issue.
If everything else has been checked or replaced, it must be a bad PCM. There is no way to test it, the shop manual has you check everything outside of the PCM and if it still isn't fixed, change the PCM.

rocklefty19

Reaction score
I have not replaced any of the wiring harness, nor checked it near as good as it should be im sure. I do not have information for readings and pin locations

rocklefty19

Reaction score
Last night I hope to have came across something. Doing some functional tests with a higher end scan tool I came across a soft code p1703 brake switch out of range. After a trip to advanced auto and $14.99 the 35 mile trip back home where it messed up on the way there, no hick ups no flashing tow haul and the torque converter stayed lock in even up the steep grades with me accelerating from 60 mph to 90 mph fairly quickly. Could this be the true cause I would assume since the brake kicks out lock up that it is indeed part of the tcc circuit. Could that be my malfunction?

rocklefty19

Reaction score
tomorrow is a trip pulling my enclosed trailer from central ky over jelico mnt on i75 into southern tn. I will post updates and hope and pray I found the problem.

rocklefty19

Reaction score
Over 600 miles and around a rock slide on i75 through some of what I would call a very challenging pull and absolutely no hick ups.

Latest posts

Members online