5r110 tranny fluid?

bgrimm1

Reaction score
What is everyone's suggested tranny fluid to run in the 5r110. Just finishin up th tranny w/ suncoast kit and RCD converter just wantin to see what fluid is workin the best

Big Angry Hillbilly

Reaction score
Don't think you can get SP anymore unfortunately, because that was the better of the two.

LV is your only option now unfortunately. (From a factory fluids standpoint).

Lilpooh

Reaction score
Not MERCON, only MERCON SP or MERCON LV. MERCON will kill the solenoids.

Mark, Suncoast says its OK to use Mercon 5 or Dextron III after installing their kits. I'm assuming it's because of the clutch materials.

I've got almost 100k miles on my trans rebuild using Mercon 5 with no issues of solenoids.

Scan.jpg

Mark Kovalsky

Reaction score
Suncoast can say whatever they want. Maybe their clutch material will live with those fluids. They would know. What they don't seem to know is that MERCON or MERCON V will kill the solenoids. You seem to be lucky.

Big Angry Hillbilly

Reaction score
Just based on fluid quality after time in service.

LV also appears to have the constancy of vegetable oil also. Lol.

Used LV in a turbo 400 once because I had a surplus of it... Had time to read the newspaper between shifts. Dumped all of it and put D3M in it and it was a totally different trans.

Mark Kovalsky

Reaction score
Used LV in a turbo 400 once because I had a surplus of it... Had time to read the newspaper between shifts. Dumped all of it and put D3M in it and it was a totally different trans.
Just another example of the wrong fluid causing problems.

Transmission fluids are not like engine oils. You can't use the latest fluid in older transmissions without expecting major problems. Fluids have frictional characteristics that vary a lot. If you use a fluid that is too slippery for the friction material (clutches and bands) in the transmission they will slip. It only takes a short time of slipping before the transmission is toast.

Your experience doesn't mean MERCON LV is a poor fluid, it means a Turbo 400 wasn't designed to use MERCON LV.

Jarrod B

Reaction score
My truck has 158k and has never had the oil changed since I've own it. I was gonna take it to Ford for a pan drop filter change and not a flush. Not knowing what is in it atm, would the LV kill mine faster or no?

Big Angry Hillbilly

Reaction score
Just another example of the wrong fluid causing problems.

Transmission fluids are not like engine oils. You can't use the latest fluid in older transmissions without expecting major problems. Fluids have frictional characteristics that vary a lot. If you use a fluid that is too slippery for the friction material (clutches and bands) in the transmission they will slip. It only takes a short time of slipping before the transmission is toast.

Your experience doesn't mean MERCON LV is a poor fluid, it means a Turbo 400 wasn't designed to use MERCON LV.

Why does Mercon LV turn black and smell burnt within 5000 miles in the proper application? I understand LV wasn't designed to run in a 400, but needed to move the car and had lots of LV from working at the dealer.

ford rules

Reaction score
My brother just changed the filters/fluid in his 03 6.0 service truck and dealer recommended only the LV. Trans shifts a little smoother now he said.

Big Angry Hillbilly

Reaction score
I wasn't trying to make waves I didn't know the answer.

And the dealer is going to recommend LV because sp is discontinued.

Skinny

Reaction score
You can still get SP i still sell it at my store most dealers wont sell it cause its more $$ but we stock it for the guys that want it..But i run LV in mine

Matt

Zmann

Reaction score
LOL 5000 Mile life cycle is BS I run LV in my originally filled SP trans and have had no issues,, shiot I can't tell the difference in the 2

as a matter of fact neither has 1 other poster until you

this is a case of a trans takes a chit and the new fluid gets the wrap ..

same BS as the heated flush ,, people claiming it's going to dislodge junk ,, when in reality it just mimics the exact flow your trans has been doing since day 1

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online