6.0 bearing washed?

oneturboforme

Reaction score
I am looking at a smoking deal(well I think it is) its a 05 lariat ccsb with 75k has every option you can get a 5" lift and decent tires. The guy is telling me the motor is done. His mechanic(pretty much a local gas engine mechanic) put a egr delete and oil cooler on his truck but it was to late. He drove the truck maybe 100miles after that started smoking and making all kinds of ruckus Told him it lost all compression on the driver side and all the bearings got washed due to coolant in the oil. I haven't tried to start it but he says it won't start. Is this even possible for coolant to wash bearing/rings in these motors? Kinda sounds to me the guy didn't know what he was doing contaminated the oil can possibly blew the head gasket? But I'm by far not a diesel mechanic just seeing what y'all think. And what would be good things to check out before buying it and what you would pay for it?

oneturboforme

Reaction score
If an oil cooler completely plugged would it get hot enough to wash bearings? And when I checked the oil it didn't have any coolant in it .. it looked pretty clean actually had a very light smell of fuel but that's it

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
Reaction score
Oil pressure>coolant pressure. Oil goes in coolant when oil coolers blow. Even with oil coolers blown and engines off I've never seen coolant get into crankcase

Dzchey21

Reaction score
There is way more that you need to know really

For one i really doubt that all of the cylinders on one side would be low on compression
2 you need to know what the numbers are
3 you need to know that its not fuel in the oil
4 you need to know what the smoke smelled like fuel or coolant
Depending on the deal you can still probably fix it and drive it for the right amount of money

FWIW i have an engine here that was out at 85000 miles because of an injector hold down problem and it filled the crankcase full of fuel, and the bearings did show some extra wear, however i think with new bearings the engine will be fine. going thru everything else before i put it in the truck.

oneturboforme

Reaction score
I asked him about the compression and he said "the shop just told me that the whole side is low on compression" he really doesn't know or ask much he just does what they tell him, which makes me think the motor isn't as bad as they say it is. As far as the oil. I mean as it is now. My 6.4 oil at about 9k(ya I know way over) had about the same kinda lite diesel smell to it As for the exhaust I can't smell it due to it "not be able to start"
I'm gonna go make an offer on it. I guess my next questions what test should I get if I buy it. Obviously try to get it to start. I guess if it doesnt run a compression test. What's the best way to rule out rings if its low? Do a wet test and a dry test I guess?

oneturboforme

Reaction score
Well I bought it got a better story from the guy and his mechanic. First the truck was puffing smoke and running like crap . Then he took it to this mechanic. He deleted the egr and oil cooler and it hasn't started since. Mechanic told me he did a compression test and ALL cylinders are reading about 30-40psi.. I said so this diesel truck that was running suddenly lost compression on All the cylinders. Without hesitation he's like yep seen it a hundred times.. anyone else seen a diesel lose compression in all the cylinders by adding an egr delete?

Dzchey21

Reaction score
something is def wrong if thats all its reading, he could be FOS and not knowing what he did and caused another issue. I wonder if maybe a rag got left in the intake or something? Hard to say at this point but im betting its not that hurt, hopefully anyway. If not you can find a used engine for reasonable money

Dzchey21

Reaction score
The truck would have never ran before with that low so i doubt it would just all of a sudden drop that low, air in air out, remember that when you go to fix it, i would start by checking compression myself and verify that it is actually that low

oneturboforme

Reaction score
Yea I have a spare 6.0 with studs deleted elite turbo and Inejectors and a built trans but I have a 79' crew cab I'm wanting to slap that into..I guess time will tell I will go pick it up tomorrow and go from there honestly just judging by the mechanics attitude I wouldn't doubt it just has a clogged IPR screen or wasn't turned over long enough to build oil pressure but we will see. Batterys are toast so I have to pick a couple of those up also

oneturboforme

Reaction score
Took it to a diesel shop here had to swap batterys and starter. Cranked very slow like something is dragging but no metal in the oil. Has hpo and fuel pressure fcim looked good it should start minus the slow engine cranking. Oh well you win some you lose some. Oh and the oil didn't smell like diesel we decided someone just dumped a crap load of heavy duty oil stabilizer in it... so anyone want to buy a 6.0? :) I got one for sale!

bluedevilslax

Reaction score
I agree with dustin. Take the belt off and pull the glow plugs to make sure the motor isn't hydro locked causing the low crank which could lead to a bent rod. Once the belt is off and the glow plugs out try to spin it over by hand if it spins over freely then crank it and see if you have cranking speed. If you do then run your compression test. And if you really are going to sell it. What is the configuration, where are you located and how much are you looking for?

oneturboforme

Reaction score
i might mess with it this week i think im moving to wymoing soon and i just really dont want to drag this with me. or i would keep it i have it listed on ksl for 9k which i know is high but it helps with people offering me junk as a trade for it :). truck is a crew cab short box fx4 lariat sunroof. if anyone is interested pm call or text(truck in in for sale section) and i will tell you how much im into it and thats honestly what id like to atleast get out of it. thanks

oneturboforme

Reaction score
as far as the mechanic offering to buy it, he did ask me how much a paid for it but thats all

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.