6.0 block deck pitting HELP!?!

douger0500

Reaction score
I have some pitting deep enough where I can dig a fingernail into it. Pic Below.

What do I do? The head has been resurfaced. Block is within .025 tolerance besides the pitting..... Can I melt brass in there? or some other hairball idea?

-5FC5-4118-913F-9CA71D0CD679-2208-0000016DCCAF83B2.jpg

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
Reaction score
I cannot recommend it, nor am I proud of it... but what the customer wants, they get it...

I had a 6.5 with a horrible, pitted surface. the gasket blew and the truck sat for years. The coolant ate the hell out of the block surface.... they wanted it 'patched' up to sell...

I used BELZONA. Smoothed it out, and put the gasket and head on ASAP... it held as far as I know..

Snake

Reaction score
Best thing I can recommend without pulling the motor and having the block decked is to use a large honing stone (knife sharpener) to smooth things out as much as possible. You'll obviously need to be concerned about taking a consistent amount of material off the block (a wavy surface would be worse than the pitting).

But there's members here smarter than me, and hopefully they'll chime in with some other options.

traxxus102

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
Best thing I can recommend without pulling the motor and having the block decked is to use a large honing stone (knife sharpener) to smooth things out as much as possible. You'll obviously need to be concerned about taking a consistent amount of material off the block (a wavy surface would be worse than the pitting).

But there's members here smarter than me, and hopefully they'll chime in with some other options.

like said.. deck it.

douger0500

Reaction score
Update: The guy at the machine shop and I had a slight argument...
Going to hash out a plan to clean up the surface a little better with a chunk of surfaced steel and some zc-31-a.

Then guy from belzona is due here at 2:00. Gonna wire brush out the ONE dip pack it full of belzona level it off. Slap it together and let it ride!

:redspotdance:

traxxus102

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
Going to hash out a plan to clean up the surface a little better with a chunk of surfaced steel and some zc-31-a.

Then guy from belzona is due here at 2:00. Gonna wire brush out the ONE dip pack it full of belzona level it off. Slap it together and let it ride!

let us know how it works. or if.

suprdzlduty

Reaction score
if I am looking at that right, the pit looks to be outside the combustion chamber sealing surface. It looks to be slightly inside the coolant seal surface...I would look and make sure it would even be a issue to be concerned with...just a thought.

Snake

Reaction score

You gotta know when to hold em. Know when to fold em. Know when to walk away. And know when to run.

Good luck!

douger0500

Reaction score
Dude from belzona showed up. Laughed at me. Said that the hole is so tiny it wouldn't be worth the 210 dollars for a container. smeered on some jb with a razor as it's out of the combustion chamber.

Thought being I'd rather have jb in the hole than a chamber for radiator fluid to leak over... One drop of the liquid going through. Cycling and eventually making the pit worse. Maybe even hurting the new head gasket. Going together as soon as I get rid of this 21st birthday.....

douger0500

Reaction score
Also I decked my block a little differently.. First scraped forever with a razor. Then was going to get a chunk of steel surfaced and ford head gasket removal compound...

Dude at tool and dye place that was to make my chunk of steel, Ended up having one of those Perfectly true blocks of hardened steel. Lent that and some ridiculously fine sand paper. Wrapped and clamped the sandpaper to the steel. After running that across surface for a good 20 minutes in X configurations across the chambers. Went back with a feeler gauge. Everything was under .003 and was tight across the chambers in two X configurations. And across the chambers like so

O-O-O-O

Got a little anal towards the end, But I figure it will be worth the extra effort.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.