6.0 Coughs and Smokes

SlowSmoke

Reaction score
I had a guy bring me an 06 6.0L to work on. Ford told him he needed a new turbo, and i didn't ask any questions. I put on the Industrial PowerMax turbo and a 4" Flopro exhaust. Took the truck for a drive and seemed ok, but didn't put my foot down. Installed an SCT Livewire with the pyro and went out for a drive. Took it easy till it warmed up then put my foot into it, and once you hit about 3/4 throttle it startes coughing like the injectors are cutting out and it's getting super hot. I changed the fuel filters and no different. Loaded it back to stock and it's still doing it, and i can hit 1450f pyro temps easy with the stock tune in. It gets even worse at WOT. Seems to me like a bad injector or bad HP oil pump? Maybe there is an oil leak going into an injector? It gets worse as the truck warms up which makes me think it's an oil issue. Truck has 150,000 kms on it. Anyone had this issue or know how to check this out? Thanks in advance

Mdub707

Reaction score
Put a scanner on it and see what ICP is doing... I would also check out fuel pressure.

DMAX

Reaction score
If you have access to a scanner that can log ICP or IPR duty Cycle that would be handy... you need to look for a noticeable drop in ICP or the IPR valve duty cycle going up, when it should stay the same. Either way I would think dummy plugs or stand-pipes if the updated ones with nylon washers haven't been installed

SlowSmoke

Reaction score
Don't have access to a scanner and the SCT I put in doesn't read ICP or IPR Duty Cycle. It's booked in to go to ford so they can take a look at it. I'm not sure if it has had the stand up pipes and dummy plugs updated, but from what the guy is telling me it doesn't sound like it.

Thanks for the info

Mdub707

Reaction score
The SCT stuff can read that. You can datalog with it, download SCT's livelink software for free on a labtop, then hook the SCT up to the truck, then use a printer USB cable to hook SCT to the labtop.

Hard to diagnose a truck without the proper equipment though.

Latest posts

Members online