6.0 delta's are high

MN6.0guy

Reaction score
I have a 2003 6.0 and am reading 178 engine coolant temp and about 200 for my oil temp which puts me in the 22 degrees difference range. I understand ideal coolant temp should be at 190 so should I maybe try a new T-stat to get my deltas closer, or would that bring my oil temp higher as well? Any help is appreciated. Thank you!

Powerstroked162

On Da Juice
Reaction score
Sounds like you may have a clogged oil cooler on your hands. This kit we offer may be able to limp you by until a new one can be had. It also makes a great addition to a new oil cooler along side our coolant filter kit

Delta kit:

http://powerstrokearmy.com/forums/showthread.php?t=40084

Coolant filter kit:

http://powerstrokearmy.com/forums/showthread.php?t=36715

Let me know if you need any further help. We also carry a full line of Ford Motorcraft parts, I.e., replacement oil coolers, gasket kits, etc.,

HeavyAssault

Reaction score
ECT should be higher. Replace the tstat first to determine if the oil cooler is clogged. Just remember with an open tstat the coolant is ALWAYS running thru the radiator being cooled by the outside air. The ECT should rise and fall while driving say 5*+/- depending on your load, speed. etc.

MN6.0guy

Reaction score
Ok, it just stays at a constant 178* whether I'm hard on the throttle or not. Because if I'm not mistaken the ECT should be around 190* correct?

MN6.0guy

Reaction score
powerstroked162, It's around -20* or so currently. Haven't had a lot of days that are above 0* so I'm sure maybe this has something to do with it?

Derkperk

Reaction score
It's been a tough couple weeks in the great north temp wise. Not looking forward to mondays high of 15 below!
I'd get your coolant temp issue dialed in before you start thinking oil cooler. Try blocking a portion I the radiator to see of you can build temp. I know these newer trucks are capable of running without "cold fronts" but at these crazy cold temps it cant hurt.

Last edited:

mcdaniel1991

Reaction score
Raising the coolant temp is not going to lower you EOT. Try the Delta kit that Absolute offers. It should get you by until you can change the cooler.

However i would change out the thermostat since it seems to be stuck open, But don't expect this to help your deltas

Last edited:

Derkperk

Reaction score
Right. But if your coolant temp is below the normal range and your oil temp is normal, getting the ECT in check will put you at the correct delta.

Swap that t-stat.

mcdaniel1991

Reaction score
I can see where your coming from. Im not saying I would not change the T-stat but I think that raising the Coolant temp is also going to raise the oil temp. The colder ECT seems to be what is keeping the EOT down. My truck stays around 195 and I only see 200+ in the winter usually. However I hope I am wrong.

Last edited:

HeavyAssault

Reaction score
He isn't "raising" the ECT. He is placing the system back to normal operation. IF the tstat has failed open you will see low ECT with normal EOT. Sure he could see EOT rise 2-3* but it will bring the indicating delta back to normal. Only then with the system operating as designed will he be able to determine if there truly is a ECT/EOT delta issue.

mcdaniel1991

Reaction score
Ok maybe I thought I understood the cooling system lol

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

MN6.0guy

Reaction score
Thanks for all the input guys. I put a new T-stat in it last night and helped big time. My ECT is back up to 190* and my EOT is sitting at 200. I ran it about 25 miles at 65 MPH and it hovered right there. The highest I saw was an 11* difference when I put my foot in it. You guys are awesome.

Latest posts

Members online