6.0 engine removal

kb88

Reaction score
I have a 2005 crew cab that I need to change the engine in. It has over 8500 hours on it and it doesn't carry much oil pressure anymore.
What is the best way to do it? I do not have a lift in my shop so the cab will stay on. Is there any special tools I would need?

powerstrokedkid87

Reaction score
not that bad, just time consuming. I would pull the turbo and up pipes off, as well as the ficm to give you some extra movement room.

Zmann

Reaction score
maybe He knows the pump is fine but the bearing clearances are excessive ??

Big Angry Hillbilly

Reaction score
If he knows the bearing clearances are excessive, he's got the engine out already. ;)

Pull turbo, intake, FICM, up pipes, degas bottle, heater case makes it nice but isn't necessary. Use the shortest chain you possibly can to avoid catching the rear lifting bracket on the cowl repeatedly.

If not pulling the cab, I take the bumper, cooling stack, upper radiator support crossmember, and everything all out to make it easier to get the engine out the front.

DSCF0321.jpg

Kind of like this.

Gary

Reaction score
:whs: There is a engine lifting bracket you can buy on ebay. it mounts the the turbo support bracket hole on the top of the block. This bracket make it easier to get the engine in and out. When I put them back in, I remove the motor mounts off the engine until the engine and trans are bolted together then I put the motor mounts in.

kb88

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies I do need to pull the motor it has an oil leak looks like just above the oil pan And the injectors are shot. It was a company truck that sat around and idled all day so I'm gonna try to find a good used one to swap it with

Latest posts

Members online