6.0 hard start when warm...

dieselpower

Reaction score
I have an 05 6.0 that starts hard when it's warm. Sometimes it can take up to 4-5 seconds of cranking to fire up. Runs perfectly fine when started, and I just got it back from the shop with all new glow plugs (although this wouldn't affect it much when warm I suppose). It seems to start normal when cold...

Check engine light is off...runs fine...no leaks as far as I can see...??

Thanks for your input!

Last edited:

HOOV3R

Reaction score
Probably a high pressure oil leak. It's an 05, so my guess is stand pipes and dummy plugs.

hawgdoctor

Reaction score
Sounds like either the delivery tubes, or dummy plugs need to be changed. If j was going in for either I would do them both since you're right there.

sent from the shop making things fly.....

hawgdoctor

Reaction score
Ok thanks for the info guys. What does it take to replace them?

Pull the valve covers, and they are right there. If they haven't been changed it will take a 10mm Allen to get them out, and then the new ones are a 12mm. Patience will be your friend with this too. The pass side will be tight wth the,delivery tube, but its doable.

G Racing

Reaction score
The bottom half of the standpipe will probably stay down inside and you will have to pull the oil rail to get it out

dieselpower

Reaction score
Pull the valve covers, and they are right there. If they haven't been changed it will take a 10mm Allen to get them out, and then the new ones are a 12mm. Patience will be your friend with this too. The pass side will be tight wth the,delivery tube, but its doable.

Well shoot. Just got it back today...I'm sure they could have done it no problem. Is there any other issue that could make it do this or should I plan on buying new dummy plugs?

hawgdoctor

Reaction score
I'd start with that. Very rarely have j seen the delivery tubes pop an boring, but the dummy plugs are all the time. Normally have several sets in stock just for that reason. Seems they like to chew up the orings on them.

Latest posts

Members online