6.0 hard start

MN6.0guy

Reaction score
Over the last week or so my 03 6.0 has started hard, it cranks for about 5 seconds or so. Does it while its warm or cold. Anybody know what the issue could be? Also, it does have throw a few puffs of bluish smoke on start up on cold mornings, is this a big deal or no? Thanks guys.

Commandos888

Reaction score
Tell me more about the hard start??? it could be a lot of thing's.it could be a small high press oil leak that's starting to come out.

Mdub707

Reaction score
It's that time of year again when temps are dropping and people starting having cold start issues.

Start simple, have your batteries individually load tested. Make sure the connections are good including your grounds. Then once that is all squared away, test your FICM. If you still have issues after all of that, then post back here and let us know.

MN6.0guy

Reaction score
I tested the batteries already and put new connections on so I know it's not that. And how do I have my FICM tested? Just go to the dealer? Commando, It just has a long crank time but it still starts up and idles just fine there after, no lope, doesn't idle rough, just takes awhile to crank over. I was thinking maybe IPR??? But I'm no diesel mechanic. Maybe I'll try and test my FICM and if worse comes to worse just have it reflashed?

Mdub707

Reaction score
Just need an extra set of hands to turn the key and a multi-meter, should only take 20 minutes or so, pretty easy to do. Go to youtube and search 6.0 powerstroke FICM test, it's all over the net. It's the easiest thing you can do at this point without having a good quality scanner to monitor some functions. Reflashing it wont cure a long crank time. I wouldn't be in a hurry to get to the dealer. That's likely all they will do is flash it, and the problem will still persist.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.