6.0 motor knocking

bnestock

Reaction score
Well I got my turbo and ic tube put on and started my truck and there is a knocking/ticking coming from the motor it almost sounds like a gasser exhaust leak. My first thought washpush rods so I took valve covers and oil rails off and the rockers look good how do I check the pushrods without removing them? When the motor is beung turned over it sounds like compression is escaping from somwhere on the drivers head. What else could the noise be? What else should I try checking?

bnestock

Reaction score
No it didn't do it before the turbo install, but when the turbo blew I heard a load bang, metal on metal noise. I had it towed home an found the intercooler tube was ripped in half and turbine shaft was broke in half... as far as codes so far I haven't got any codes when I've checked with sct and my cts. On the startup after turbo install I was blowing alot of white-gray smoke that smelled heavily of diesel and seemee like it was slightly missing, the sound was most noticable by the intake/ ds valve cover.

swinky

Reaction score
No it didn't do it before the turbo install, but when the turbo blew I heard a load bang, metal on metal noise. I had it towed home an found the intercooler tube was ripped in half and turbine shaft was broke in half... as far as codes so far I haven't got any codes when I've checked with sct and my cts. On the startup after turbo install I was blowing alot of white-gray smoke that smelled heavily of diesel and seemee like it was slightly missing, the sound was most noticable by the intake/ ds valve cover.

Pressure spike when the turbo went and hurt the valve train. Maybe?? How'd the compressor wheel look?

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

bnestock

Reaction score
Conpressor wheel looked pretty decent. Scuffed up a lil but no major chunks missing or anything like that. An with the valve covers an oil rails off It looks like all the rockers are moving like they should.

Dzchey21

Reaction score
next step would be pulling the oil cap and running it, does the smoke come out smooth and seady or does it puff? If it puffs then you have most likely a hurt cylinder.

There isnt anway this could be coming from a glow plug could it?

swinky

Reaction score
I think we should let everybody know that you sprayed it pretty hard at the track.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

bnestock

Reaction score
Yea true, I did put the bottle to it hard at the track, sorry thought I had that in the op. to look at the blowby ill have to put everything back togethar to see. An what do u mean bout the gp.

Dzchey21

Reaction score
is there a chance the glow plug is loose or letting compression past it? Ive seen one where the center came out even though it was tight.

You can check that with the valve cover off if you need to, even just cranking you might be able to tell if one cylinder is making high crankcase pressure.

If its raw fuel smell im betting that the tip came off of an injector and possibly took the turbo out with it... same with the piston or cylinder head too thats basically what im getting at

Latest posts

Members online