6.0 Nostart No crank

powerstrokedkid87

Reaction score
ok, heres what I have.

customer called me with a truck we studded about 6 months ago, truck ran great for 6 months. HE was getting the truck ready for plow season, said truck drove into his yard no problem. He parked it, wired up some reverse lights to his tail lights, now the truck doesn't start, crank or anything, and batteries are good.

Here is what I have found:

If I pull the starter cable *the one up by the battery) and turn the ignition on and bump the starter cable on the battery, the truck fires right up.

When you turn the key on and try and crank it, it clicks once and that's it.

The relay under the hood clicks when you turn the key

I checked all of the fuses bother under the hood, and under the dash, they all appear fine (these were checked multiple times, and swapped with new fuses also)

I swapped the Ficm relay with a known good relay as well.

The other part which I don't think has to do with anything, but we jumped the truck, drove it around the yard, noticed when he put it in reverse, no reverse lights worked either both factory, and aftermarket.

Also checked the ignition switch, looks like all the wires are intact.

also pulled codes with AE software, didn't have any codes other than egr codes fromt he delete

I have little patients for electrical, spent about 2 hours on this thing...not sure where to look at next...suggestions?

weazel

Reaction score
Check the harnesses on the drivers inner fender, when I did my studsI plugged them in the wrong way, one of them control the rear lights, and the truck won't start if they are plugged in wrong. I don't know why ford put the same connectors right next to each other

Sent from my fortress of awesome

powerstrokedkid87

Reaction score
Check the harnesses on the drivers inner fender, when I did my studsI plugged them in the wrong way, one of them control the rear lights, and the truck won't start if they are plugged in wrong. I don't know why ford put the same connectors right next to each other

normally id say this could be it, however the truck was studded 6 months ago and ran and drove fine. The issue seems to have started when the lights were installed.

weazel

Reaction score
I was just thinking maybe he messed with them when he was doing the reverse lights

Gary

Reaction score
If I pull the starter cable *the one up by the battery) and turn the ignition on and bump the starter cable on the battery, the truck fires right up.

^^ That sounds like a battery cable problem^^ Then go over every wire he touched.

JMart

Reaction score
By going directly to the starter you are bypassing the safeties, one of which being the neutral safety switch. Will the truck start in any other gears or in neutral? I think he crossed a circuit somewhere causing the truck to think its in gear when you try to start it with the key.

mint-6oh

Reaction score
By going directly to the starter you are bypassing the safeties, one of which being the neutral safety switch. Will the truck start in any other gears or in neutral? I think he crossed a circuit somewhere causing the truck to think its in gear when you try to start it with the key.

Whs: he could have wired it incorrectly and have a circuit back feeding to the tr sensor so the truck doesn't know it's in park/nuetral

powerstrokedkid87

Reaction score
Whs: he could have wired it incorrectly and have a circuit back feeding to the tr sensor so the truck doesn't know it's in park/nuetral

truck does not start in neutral either., even started the truck to move it by bumping the starter truck drove no problem, just wont turn over by key

powerstrokedkid87

Reaction score
so he scanned the truck with a snap on scanner, while they were trying to scan the transmission, he kept getting an error saying the truck was not in park or neutral. He was also getting ficm codes, but I would think if the ficm was an issue, the truck would not have started when we jumped it.

04stroker

Reaction score
Try starting it in R, D, 3 2 1 etc... Or using the snap on scanner or whatever has the capabilities pull up pids for the tranny and see what gear it thinks its in forget the exact name of the pid.

JRG

Reaction score
NO CRANK NO START WHEN COLD

WHEN TURN THE KEY TO START THE TRUCK CHECK TO SEE IF YOU 12V ON FUSE #31 ON INSIDE FUSE BOX. IF NOT TAKE A HEAT GUN TO THE WHITE IGNITION SWITCH MOUNTED TO THE STEERING COLUMN. IT TAKES 5-10 MINUTES TO WARM UP THE INSIDE OF SWITCH THEN TRY TO START IF IT WILL NOT CRANK REPEAT AND TRY TO STAR IT AGAIN. I DID THIS AND THE TRUCK THE STARTED. IT WILL WORK UNTIL IT SITS OVER NIGHT IN THE COLD. I AN GOING REPLACE THE SWITCH AND SEE WHAT HAPPENS. GOOD LUCK I HOPE THIS HELPS

powerstrokedkid87

Reaction score
WHEN TURN THE KEY TO START THE TRUCK CHECK TO SEE IF YOU 12V ON FUSE #31 ON INSIDE FUSE BOX. IF NOT TAKE A HEAT GUN TO THE WHITE IGNITION SWITCH MOUNTED TO THE STEERING COLUMN. IT TAKES 5-10 MINUTES TO WARM UP THE INSIDE OF SWITCH THEN TRY TO START IF IT WILL NOT CRANK REPEAT AND TRY TO STAR IT AGAIN. I DID THIS AND THE TRUCK THE STARTED. IT WILL WORK UNTIL IT SITS OVER NIGHT IN THE COLD. I AN GOING REPLACE THE SWITCH AND SEE WHAT HAPPENS. GOOD LUCK I HOPE THIS HELPS

this thread is over a year old.....just saying

Latest posts

Members online