6.0 Starting Issue

GRN250

Reaction score
New to 6.0 powerstrokes and having trouble getting my '07 to start after replacing heads & head gaskets. Using AE, the FICM voltage is 48 and the injector pressure slowly builds to 1650-1800psi. The batteries are in good condition holding full charge. Have attempted to start ten or twelve times running the starter for 25-30 seconds hoping to bleed out some of the air. Didn't see a fuel pressure listing on my AE but maybe I overlooked it. The truck does have an instrument cluster CAN communication Bus Fault (receiver error); it was running prior to having the heads removed. Could someone point me in the direction of what to look for and in what order? Thanks for your help.

6.0 Tech

Reaction score
New to 6.0 powerstrokes and having trouble getting my '07 to start after replacing heads & head gaskets. Using AE, the FICM voltage is 48 and the injector pressure slowly builds to 1650-1800psi. The batteries are in good condition holding full charge. Have attempted to start ten or twelve times running the starter for 25-30 seconds hoping to bleed out some of the air. Didn't see a fuel pressure listing on my AE but maybe I overlooked it. The truck does have an instrument cluster CAN communication Bus Fault (receiver error); it was running prior to having the heads removed. Could someone point me in the direction of what to look for and in what order? Thanks for your help.

Has it run since you did the work? There is no fuel pressure pid, you’ll have to get a manual gauge on it. The threads on the test port in the bowl are 12x1.75 oring. Do you have rpm reading, or does the cam fault pid read that there is a fault? Can you read sync and FICM sync? It should have both. Do the injectors buzz when you key it on?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Powerstroke Cowboy

Reaction score
Did you plug the injector harness back in? If a plug is not plugged in all the way on the FICIM ot will do the same thing.

GRN250

Reaction score
Has it run since you did the work? There is no fuel pressure pid, you’ll have to get a manual gauge on it. The threads on the test port in the bowl are 12x1.75 oring. Do you have rpm reading, or does the cam fault pid read that there is a fault? Can you read sync and FICM sync? It should have both. Do the injectors buzz when you key it on?

Thanks for your help. I was not able to get a gauge yet but verified no cam fault and the FICM did show it sync'd. The injector test listed #3 & #6 injectors as low circuit. I unplugged the FICM plugs and seated them again and the truck started. The problem now is the keepers on the FICM plugs appear to have been broken in the past and aren't held securely. Haven't searched to see if this is a common problem.

TooManyToys

Reaction score
Common issue. Some people zip tie them, some put rubber hose under the connectors, so they are pushed tight, and others buy new connector shells and replace them.

6.0 Tech

Reaction score
I typically cut a piece of 5/8 heater hose to length and bolt the FICM down. Easier to do than the zip tie deal, at least in my opinion. I’ve done em both, and now prefer the hose method. Best is to buy a new harness, the injector harness is under 200 bucks, if it’s the main engine harness connector, then the hose or zip tie is the better fix. New engine harnesses are around 800, and a royal bitch to put in…

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
Reaction score
Connectors are like $30 each and take about 10 mins for each plug to change over.

AP0018/19/20 are the connectors out of alliant power catalog

6.0 Tech

Reaction score
Connectors are like $30 each and take about 10 mins for each plug to change over.

AP0018/19/20 are the connectors out of alliant power catalog

I did not know that. When I was at the dealer, we didn’t have access to that. Good to know though

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
Reaction score
I did not know that. When I was at the dealer, we didn’t have access to that. Good to know though

Oh good you're awake. Text in bound.

But yes..

DO Not GET THE PIGTAILS. you'll hate your life with 3 ginormous bundles of butt connectors all wrapped up under ficm.

Attachments

• 20220815_080651.jpg
    20220815_080651.jpg
    128 KB · Views: 89

GRN250

Reaction score
A new injector harness has been installed and a new plug on the main harness so all three seat firmly in the FICM. The truck now "sputters" when it gets past 550-600 psi ICP. The FICM sync looks good as does FICM voltage. The batteries were tested but drop to under 11v when starting as seen in the snapshot below. The high pressure oil is slow to build but the system may still have air in it as it hasn't run long enough to purge the air yet. I never see the cam position sensor change states but it doesn't show faulted. Currently waiting for the fuel pressure fitting to arrive to verify pressure. Any suggestions beyond checking fuel pressure? Could the cam position sensor be bad without throwing a code? Thanks.

IMG_2918.jpg

GRN250

Reaction score
Finally checked the fuel pressure and it is 55-60 psi once the pump energizes. The pressure falls to 0 once the pump is off and the fuel bowl is empty when opened. Is this normal? The truck had started a few weeks ago but now just stumbles like it is trying to start but doesn't. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Powerstroke Cowboy

Reaction score
If the connectors are all good on the FICM and it plugged in correctly. Maybe the FICM is bad. Do you know anyone with a known good FICM you could do a test with?

bismic

Reaction score
As @6.0 Tech asked - do all injectors pass the buzz test (especially #3 and #6)?

It could be the injectors.

Last edited:

GRN250

Reaction score
I checked the truck again today with the AE software and noticed the cam and crank sensor sync is coming and going. I also had an "injector 1 low circuit" error come in while cranking. The high pressure oil is slow to build and the truck seemed to be turning slower than normal (180-250rpm) even after charging the batteries. The injectors do pass the buzz test.

bismic

Reaction score
If you are getting a steady rpm signal, then the cam sensor or its wiring could be causing the intermittent SYNC.

You could have rust on the block that is pushing the cam sensor too far away from its target, or it could be wiring related, or even a bad cam sensor.

I have some resources for troubleshooting the cam sensor if you are interested.

GRN250

Reaction score
The RPM fluctuates some and the cam sensor has been replaced with a new oem sensor. I am willing to troubleshoot the sensor if that could be the issue of the cam/crk sync coming and going.

Latest posts

Members online