6.0 steering wheel problems...

mcdaniel1991

Reaction score
Im noticing more now that I added the 35" tires that my steering wheel does not always re center. I have never changed ball joints so I assume they could be a culprit but I figured with ball joints it would always do it.

The truck has a 4.5 inch lift, stock steering dampener, and 35" tires.
I also have not had an alignment done, that said I did a string alignment on it to correct tracking. Also the lift I installed is the Rough Country 4.5" kit says it keeps factory specs on caster and camber.

I have tried to research the issue but I'm not finding much info. I know my gear box is a little worn since I have about an inch of play in either direction. I am planing on getting a REDHEAD box but I'm not 100% sure that is the problem with the sticky steering.

Any ideas?

Zmann

Reaction score
it could even be u joints hanging up

if your not familiar with how to check for worn items it may be worth a trip to an alignment shop for their inspection

mcdaniel1991

Reaction score
Well I'm still in Germany and I trust myself more then them since they don't even have trucks here..

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Tapatalk

mcdaniel1991

Reaction score
I will try lifting the front end and moving the wheels by hand to pinpoint the problem..

HeavyAssault

Reaction score
That contact patch is pretty wide compared to stock. Maybe upgrading to a Bilstein stabalizer or run a set of duals with the stocker.

As Zmann suggested try checking the front end over. I'd leave the tires/wheels on at first. Check everything you can get your hands on, and then do it again. Take off the wheels and do it again. Shocks, joints, etc etc...you know the drill. IF everything seems right I'd just say it's the new norm.

Gary

Reaction score
I'm with those guys^^ If it's not the U-joints then on a 06 the caster spec is 2.6* + or - 1.2*, I'd say with the lift you probably lost some caster, then the tires don't help either. A lot of the older trucks had 5 1/2* of caster, you may need to increase your caster to help the steering wheel return.

mcdaniel1991

Reaction score
I'm with those guys^^ If it's not the U-joints then on a 06 the caster spec is 2.6* + or - 1.2*, I'd say with the lift you probably lost some caster, then the tires don't help either. A lot of the older trucks had 5 1/2* of caster, you may need to increase your caster to help the steering wheel return.

Its really weird because it did this before the lift or tires. Its not an every day thing more like once or twice a week. But it always catches me off guard. I'm leaning toward U joints or ball joints.

Zmann

Reaction score
Well I'm still in Germany and I trust myself more then them since they don't even have trucks here..
dammit sorry buddy I keep forgetting

I agree your the best man for the job
don't let those sourkraut's near your truck

LOL

mcdaniel1991

Reaction score
dammit sorry buddy I keep forgetting

I agree your the best man for the job
don't let those sourkraut's near your truck

LOL

Haha, it's cool man. Im almost done here, I'll be back in December.

mcdaniel1991

Reaction score
Well I greased my U joints and haven't had the problem since... I guess time will tell if that was the issue.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.