6.0 troubles

Short Bus

Reaction score
I had a guy bring me a 2004 6.0 with just over 100k miles and a no start/ run issue.. It did have some codes, the most significant being 5 or 6 cylinders with a injector circuit low codes and one with a balance/ contribution fault. I had just put a ficm on this truck 2 months ago, so i pulled the ficm loose and checked the 3 connectors just to make sure one didnt come loose. Also all injector/ harness connections were good. FICM voltage is good, battery voltage is good, ICP comes up to 500psi when cranking, it has fuel at the fuel bowl, fuel filter is good.... Every once an awhile it will fire on a cylinder or 2 but it wont start. I am stumped, any suggestions?

Mixedbreed

Reaction score
But ICP reads good so I don't see it being HPOP or oil related. Fuel pressure good? Fuel in bowl doesn't say much. 0.02$

fordfreak4life

Reaction score
Is it right at 500 or above... Fought my dads pickup for 2 weekz with same issues... Threw a known good pump in it and it hasnt missdd beat since

Sent from my Milestone X2 using Tapatalk 2

Short Bus

Reaction score
480-500 icp while cranking. I didn't check fuel pressure, just pulled filter, turned key on and it ran fuel out.

Mixedbreed

Reaction score
i am no expert but i think 500 psi is enough to fire an injector. i would look at fuel pressure. just flow isnt enough. good luck

my truck fired up with 370 psi everytime. it didn't like the hot oil and the leaking injector o rings though. but it would not build past 150-180 when hot.

04stroker

Reaction score
500psi is what ford says you need a minimum of to fire. But usually if its not starting and HPO system is good it will crank and have much more icp than 500. Usually in my experience at least 750 if its not starting sometimes over 1k.

Short Bus

Reaction score
is there anyway to narrow it down to a hpo leak or hpop with out swapping a new pump on first? I hate to throw a new pump at it and still have a problem.

fordfreak4life

Reaction score
is there anyway to narrow it down to a hpo leak or hpop with out swapping a new pump on first? I hate to throw a new pump at it and still have a problem.

Hook shop air to the hpo system and listen for leaks.... What year is it

Derek@Vision Diesel

Reaction score
Hook shop air to the hpo system and listen for leaks.... What year is it

Depending on the compressor you will only get a 1xx psi out of that. Some leaks can even hide from that method unfortunately.

Most leaks at the top of injectors don't seem to show their signs until above 250psi:doh:

I would suggest pulling injectors and inspecting the stand pipes and injectors thoroughly, at least get that area of the system out of the way. Re-oring them and slap them back together (cheap insurance). At that point you are either looking at an STC fitting (on the newer trucks) or a pump issue. Obviously it could be a branch tube issue, but that is much less common IMO.

There is no good way to narrow it down to the pump on these. On a 7.3 you could simply block off one side with a JIC plug. But thats more difficult on a 6.0.

What is your DC% at a warm idle?

fordfreak4life

Reaction score
Depending on the compressor you will only get a 1xx psi out of that. Some leaks can even hide from that method unfortunately.

Most leaks at the top of injectors don't seem to show their signs until above 250psi:doh:

I would suggest pulling injectors and inspecting the stand pipes and injectors thoroughly, at least get that area of the system out of the way. Re-oring them and slap them back together (cheap insurance). At that point you are either looking at an STC fitting (on the newer trucks) or a pump issue. Obviously it could be a branch tube issue, but that is much less common IMO.

There is no good way to narrow it down to the pump on these. On a 7.3 you could simply block off one side with a JIC plug. But thats more difficult on a 6.0.

What is your DC% at a warm idle?

How is he suppose to get warm idle numbers if it won't run

fordfreak4life

Reaction score
its a 2004 and it wont run so i dont have any IPR DC #'s.
Does the hpo build slowly and take a lot of cranking to get it to 480-500?

Gimme a shout if u wanna discuss 785/443/2408

Last edited:

fordfreak4life

Reaction score
I probably should have seen the part that said it wouldn't start. I thought it was a hot start issue.

Its all good.... Only reason I jumped on this is because I spent a month fighting my dads 03 with the exact same symptoms..... Threw a pump in it and it fired up like a brand new one

sootie

Reaction score
pull the valve coversand crank it over-if its a hpo leak you will see a heck of a spray.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.