6.0 Water in fuel

Reaction score
Looking at an 07 CCSB. While looking at the truck, water in fuel light came on. Owner stated its done that for quite a long time, even after changing fuel filters multiple times. Not sure if he tried the HFCM drain, but if so what else could be causing this. Would replacing the HFCM take care of this. Just trying to cover all basis in case I do buy this truck. I have searched multiple forums, and found some answers, but I'm looking for anyone else's input

Mdub707

Reaction score
The HFCM might just need a good cleaning. How many miles/hours on the truck? Did it sit a lot? 07 shouldn't' have the heater on the HFCM, but it might, I can't recall which years had it and didn't. If it sat a lot it might just have algae or some sort of build up in there, it was pretty common in the vegistroke crowd because diesel would sit in there for thousands of miles while it burned on veggie, we noticed it pretty quick. I have seen a few diesel only trucks with it too, same stuff.

jdc753

Reaction score
My light came on back around 70k and I couldn't get the drain plug out,pretty sure the previous owner never drained it. So I had to do some extra work, this is what I found...

I found all this sludge in the bottom of the pump where the sump is for the water separator.

DSC03513.jpg

This is the cover side, you can see the WIF sensor on the left.
DSC03515.jpg

From what I have heard the sensors occasionally go wrong, if it continues to come on after you have drained the pump, or perhaps if you clean it out (15 minute job) then the sensor itself might be bad.

Reaction score
The truck is just under 80k. The owner was driving it a lot, but its sat since the 1st of the year. Unsure if the light was on before it sat. Also, unsure if this would be related, but the fuel level sensor is also not working. It threw a CEL while looking at it. Pulled the code, but can't remember exactly what it was. It was related to a fuel sensor, don't remember which one.

jdc753

Reaction score
dang an 07 with 80k, the truck has sat far more than it has been driven.

I honestly wouldn't worry too much about the water in fuel light, at worst case I think the outside cover to the pump is something like $150 and comes with the sensor. I don't think the WIF would set a code to the computer either, just set off the light, so maybe the code was for the level indicator

dasboot

Reaction score
no matter how many times I drain mine, the warning comes on everytime I crank the truck and get about a mile down the road. Once O reset it it never comes back on unless I turn truck off and recrank and head down the road. I'm pretty sure mine is a sensor. Sensors do go wrong. As soon as I get a chance I will use electrical contact cleaner on the plug connection, to see if thes helps. I have the rebuild gaskets and tried to do it once, but y fel tank was full and I couldn't get the fuel to quit draining when I pulled the lines. I guess it woundn't hurt next time I have the plug out to give the inside a good spraying with electrical conntact cleaner.

Latest posts

Members online