6.0 white smoke on start up

Reaction score
Today at the drop of my hat my 03 6.0 started white smoking fairly heavily at start-up. Definitely has an antifreeze smell quits smoking after about 5 minutes of running and does it every time it turns off for more than a few minutes. I tried doing the bubble tests from degas bottle but couldn't get any bubbles either way. Any advise?

6.0 Tech

Reaction score
Sounds like egr cooler. When it sits overnight, ghe pressure in the cooling system is greater than the exhaustflow, obviously, and it has enough time to leak overnight. It probably has a very small hole that you wont see on a bubble test. If you have a vacuum refiller, pull 20in or so on the cooling system, and let it sit for 5-10min. If you lose vacuum, you have a leak.

Reaction score
Bubble test showed plain and clear bubbles unplugged turbo and bubbles gone. So I'm assuming egr cooler? How risky is it driving this thing knowing it leaking enough to get low on coolant in under a week.

6.0 Tech

Reaction score
I wouldnt drive it or let it sit. Seen a lot of guys trash motors with it sitting with coolant in the cinders due to a blown cooler. Also had one with a bunch of water in the oil from a blown egr cooler, didnt cost him a motlr, but did *** up the injectors, and put a hpop in due to the water running thru it...

Reaction score
Egr ****** and oil cooler is on the way will be here Tuesday. I assume I will park it for the weekend and start pulling it apart and words of wisdom or good write ups on ******** egr and changing oil cooler? Sounds like it's going to be fun.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.