6.0l diesel in exhaust, heavy white smoke, and rough idle

Strok3d

Reaction score
This is probably going to turn into a novel, but ya'll need the entire gist of things to make an accurate call. The truck is a ford f250 6.0l daily driver with the occasional give it hell. This all started after installing cylinder heads(remans from odessa cylinder heads), new oil cooler, stand pipes, and dummy plugs. Mods are in signature and no check engine light or codes are being thrown.

I recently put new heads on my 6.0l because there was diesel in my coolant. It only happened while it had ran for some time and was seen in the degas tank. It was determined to be the injector cups, but instead of changing cups out I went ahead and put new (remanufactured) heads on it just to be sure. Naturally I put new head gaskets on it along with every other gasket, plus a new oil cooler just to get it out of the way. After reassembly it was smoking and had a rough idle, but I thought nothing of it since it was the frst time starting up and it had air and possibly a little water in the cylinders. But after 15 mins or so it didn't stop and had only worsened. It smelt of diesel instead of a sweet smell of coolant so fuel is my next thought and usually it's a bad FICM, broken nozzle, or injector going out that will cause excess fuel to be dumped into cylinder. So I check the injectors(when I say checked I mean intact, making sure tip isn't broken and that their sealing off on copper washer) and their fine then I move on to the FICM, where I end up replacing it and the problem still continues. Next (after reading and searching many websites with no help), I go and check injector tips/nozzles again and their fine so I replace the two "bad" injectors(#6, #8) problem solved, NOT! Still smokes horribly and with the exhaust manifold lose while running, diesel is dripping out of it and when you take it off you can see diesel residue in the exhaust ports. So my next thought, well one of my first thoughts but was ruled out, is the copper crush washer. By this time I have my reman injectors, from NewJerseyItem, so I pull the injectors again and replace all o-rings and install injectors. The problem still continues. All in all the injectors have been taken out 4 or more times and new o-rings were used every time. Then I noticed it, while taking the o-rings off I didn't give it much thought, but the white o-rings on the leaking cylinders didn't appear used at all. They were still round and most of the white coating was intact versus the other injectors that their lower o-ring was oval and could tell it had been sealing off. So you think their not lining up or seating, but 4 out of 4 times? I just cant see that happening and the ridge on the copper washer is smashed as though its seating against the cup properly. Is it bad cups or is there anyway the cups were improperly put in the first time? Thats my last guess I just can't think anymore I'm so frustrated with it.

Does anyone have any ideas or know the problem perhaps? If it matters when diesel first started showing up in my coolant, I was draining it and put green coolant in it not even thinking about it. But that's just so you know everything, I don't see it being related and was corrected not long after. It may be something simple and I'm overlooking I don't know and I'm open to anyones recommendations. I'm to the point where I just wanna drag it in the field and lite it on fire. So ya'll are my last hope before taking it to a shop and spending who knows how much. Any questions please ask. Thank you.

Latest posts

Members online