600hp/1000tq build sugg

046.ohBills

Reaction score
So I'm looking to mod my truck up to the 600hp club but I'm more interested in also seeing the torque number in the 1000 range. I was wondering what mods you guys have seen that produced reliable 600 hp and 1000 tq. Please put down your own suggestions in here I like to see what everyone thinks. I'm on a deployment right now and want some things to chew on before I get back. Some things about my truck, 2004 before build date before 9/03 so older style, EGR system disappeared :shrug: :naughty:, Studded, coolant filter, Blue spring kit, all updates, sct livewire (no tunes as of yet), 5in sinister diesel exhaust, 125k miles and if it matters CCLB on 33in Rubbers.

Really interested in which intake you all have seen constant results with such as gogo's or any others out there.

Injectors?

Single VGT Turbo's?

Basically fuel only is what I would like.

Thanks for your time guys, Great Community we have here :pointlaugh:

Six_Sloww

Reaction score
190/75's for injectors those are good for around 650 and a healthy hpop will hold icp with them.

68mm vgt will get you to 600 without sacrificing much driveability. Plus vgt turbos typically make bigger torque numbers

Non vgt is cheaper and I think a s364.5 would put you around the same 600 mark also with good street manners..

The key to keeping good tq numbers with a 6.0 is making sure you can spool the charger.

My truck always made well over 600 on the dyno but always hung around 950-1050 tq because it didn't spool quick

046.ohBills

Reaction score
190/75's for injectors those are good for around 650 and a healthy hpop will hold icp with them.

68mm vgt will get you to 600 without sacrificing much driveability. Plus vgt turbos typically make bigger torque numbers

Non vgt is cheaper and I think a s364.5 would put you around the same 600 mark also with good street manners..

The key to keeping good tq numbers with a 6.0 is making sure you can spool the charger.

My truck always made well over 600 on the dyno but always hung around 950-1050 tq because it didn't spool quick

Will I be able to maintain the ablility to tow with relatively low egt temps with a 68mm turbo? and what intake manifold would you recommend? Also what has the bottom end of the 6.0l been know to reliably hold?

Six_Sloww

Reaction score
Will I be able to maintain the ablility to tow with relatively low egt temps with a 68mm turbo? and what intake manifold would you recommend? Also what has the bottom end of the 6.0l been know to reliably hold?

At 600hp you'll need to upgrade the converter and depending on how hard you beat on the truck you'll need to upgrade the clutches in the transmission.

I would get a precision or dpc converter with a 2200 stall to go with a bigger turbo, that will help you get out of the hole better especially when towing. That's money better spent than intake manifold porting IMO.

If you need to tow over 5-6000 lbs pretty regularly barder turbo has a 65mm stage 2.5 that will spool a little faster than the 68. You shouldn't have any issues towing with that one.

The bottom end won't be an issue at that power, but some valvetrain upgrades are good insurance if you can swing it.. pushrods and valvesprings aren't a bad idea.

6.0 Tech

Reaction score
Ive got 190/30s and a kc stage 2. It hauls my 15k toyhauler pretty easy. Havent had it on a dyno yet, but with talking to charlie from kc, on my water meth, im probably in the 600 range on a race tune. It is really smokey in the race tune, so more air is needed, but i needed to be able to tow pretty heavy about 1-2 times a month. If you get a good tow tune written it will be ok.

UpstateDieselGuy

Reaction score
I love the 6.0's, but they are atypical to most diesels in the horsepower to torque ratio. Most run at about a 1 to 2 ratio, however the 6.0 always tracks low on that ratio. Even from the factory they were rated 325/560. That was my only gripe with the 6.0 was the lack of torque. Good luck on your quest!

Harleyx

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
Less torque keeps a tranny happy.. ever notice how a 6.0 tranny last longer than 6m4s

KCTurbos

Reaction score
Food for thought.... bigger turbos do make big torque numbers but they are usually much later in the RPM band. You will usually start to make 1000tq past 3000rpms instead of down low at 2500rpms

You make big HP late in the RPM band, like past 3500rpms. So a lot of guys end up disapointed with a 600hp setup when they realize that they never spend any time above 3500rpms and when they do they just spin their tires. They also start to notice that you moved peak tq from the 2400-2600rpm range to the 2800-3100 rpms range... because it actually makes the truck feel slower

Basically you are in the area where you need to decide if you want a peppy truck off the line that runs clean... or a 600hp monster that makes WOT useless on the streets under 50mph

I would suggest 190/30 and KC stage 2.5... that should put you in the 550-590hp range on fuel only and run very clean. It will make 1000tq and do it sooner in the rpm band than a 68mm. All while still having great towing abilities and great spool up.

We can get you a great package deal and get you set up with injector/turbo combo discounts. Send us an email if you want a quote

[email protected]

Harleyx

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
Stay vgt
elite vgt ss
barder stage 3
190 75s
Fi el system
maybe a .40 short of juice

046.ohBills

Reaction score
At 600hp you'll need to upgrade the converter and depending on how hard you beat on the truck you'll need to upgrade the clutches in the transmission.

I would get a precision or dpc converter with a 2200 stall to go with a bigger turbo, that will help you get out of the hole better especially when towing. That's money better spent than intake manifold porting IMO.

If you need to tow over 5-6000 lbs pretty regularly barder turbo has a 65mm stage 2.5 that will spool a little faster than the 68. You shouldn't have any issues towing with that one.

The bottom end won't be an issue at that power, but some valvetrain upgrades are good insurance if you can swing it.. pushrods and valvesprings aren't a bad idea.

Thanks for the input. I'm going to have the transmission done when i get back to idaho. As for the push rods and valve springs I would love to but i'll have to wait and see what the turbo and injectors come out to but those will be in the future.

Food for thought.... bigger turbos do make big torque numbers but they are usually much later in the RPM band. You will usually start to make 1000tq past 3000rpms instead of down low at 2500rpms

You make big HP late in the RPM band, like past 3500rpms. So a lot of guys end up disapointed with a 600hp setup when they realize that they never spend any time above 3500rpms and when they do they just spin their tires. They also start to notice that you moved peak tq from the 2400-2600rpm range to the 2800-3100 rpms range... because it actually makes the truck feel slower

Basically you are in the area where you need to decide if you want a peppy truck off the line that runs clean... or a 600hp monster that makes WOT useless on the streets under 50mph

I would suggest 190/30 and KC stage 2.5... that should put you in the 550-590hp range on fuel only and run very clean. It will make 1000tq and do it sooner in the rpm band than a 68mm. All while still having great towing abilities and great spool up.

We can get you a great package deal and get you set up with injector/turbo combo discounts. Send us an email if you want a quote

[email protected]

Food for Thought: Thanks for that you made a great point to me that I didn't think about. I'll keep that kc 2.5 and whose 190/30's did you have in mind?

bhudson

Reaction score
Nothing has been released about it yet because Ford is being tight lipped, but if you wait a few months for the 2017 SD, I think you can probably nail that torque rating and get that 600 hp without doing too much

046.ohBills

Reaction score
Nothing has been released about it yet because Ford is being tight lipped, but if you wait a few months for the 2017 SD, I think you can probably nail that torque rating and get that 600 hp without doing too much

lol having a new truck would be nice and all but I love the sound of a 6.0 and I really do hate all the emission equipment on the new trucks.

bhudson

Reaction score
Yeah so do I. I've got a 13, but nothing has fell off of it yet I'm gonna wait and see what the '17s end up being. I love the truck, just hate the emissions ****

KCTurbos

Reaction score
Food for Thought: Thanks for that you made a great point to me that I didn't think about. I'll keep that kc 2.5 and whose 190/30's did you have in mind?

Warren or Holders are the two options we recommend.

If you buy them both at the same time I can save you some $$$

Tom@BigTimeKustomz

Reaction score
Give us a call and we'll talk to you about some of the builds we've done. 917-974-6349. Mark knows a few things about 6.0's!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

powerstrokedkid87

Reaction score
600 out of a 6.0 is very achieveable, as mentioned above, 190s and a larger VGT will get you there. Personally im more a fan of the non VGT setups, 364, 366, 367 will all get you there.

suggestion, although it may seem un necessary, upgrade your push rods and valve springs if you pulling your heads off. for 600$ or so it may cost you, well worth the investment. also with a larger injector id suggest some type of regulated return system. your trans if its healthy should hold up for a little bit depending how you dive, but you will be on borrowed time with it. so id expect a trans and converter to be needed in your near future.

046.ohBills

Reaction score
600 out of a 6.0 is very achieveable, as mentioned above, 190s and a larger VGT will get you there. Personally im more a fan of the non VGT setups, 364, 366, 367 will all get you there.

suggestion, although it may seem un necessary, upgrade your push rods and valve springs if you pulling your heads off. for 600$ or so it may cost you, well worth the investment. also with a larger injector id suggest some type of regulated return system. your trans if its healthy should hold up for a little bit depending how you dive, but you will be on borrowed time with it. so id expect a trans and converter to be needed in your near future.

Yea i plan on doing my trans first thing when i get back and are the pushrods and valvesprings not good at the 550 to 650 range?

046.ohBills

Reaction score

Sorry didnt remember but why the regulated return for the 190/30 injectors?