7.3 compounds with a stock turbo?

Chris

Reaction score
i honestly think it could be a pretty sweet little setup in certain scenarios. sure its not going to be a 11 second 1/4 mile setup, but i bet it wasnt intended to do that. Like DZ said, if its just a jb 42 and he did the fab work himself, he doesnt have much money invested and i bet hes got a very responsive good running setup for whats in it.

60 psi of drive at 44lbs of boost is better than a 38r would be at the same levels isnt it? And running the stock turbo in a twin setup, if gated properly, will make it live longer than pushing it harder as a single. A 6.4s factory twins arent ideal..but they seem to do ok.

I wouldnt pay attention to the close minded people that knock something just because its not the most common, latest greatest thing they read about Mr. Popular IDE doing on the internet.

jngreen

Reaction score
I would bet that he has less money in adding that 4202 to his truck then he would if he bought everything to convert it over to a superduty setup plus the price of a 38r. If he has smallish injectors, he is probably not looking to have a high horsepower monster anyways.

I agree that the turbo is probably a little small for a first stage, but it was probably something that he had laying around. Who cares what he did if he is happy with how it works. If it didn't work, he is only out on his time in fabrication.

Big Bore

Reaction score
I think a 4202 by itself up here would be very laggy, so do a lot of other knowledeable people, but using a stocker to spool it then gated once it's going giving you the top end boost of a 4202 makes all kinds of sense to me.

a_moore

Reaction score
44 psi boost 60 psi back pressure is what he told us

If he could gate completely around the stocker, more of a bypass than a gate persay, then he would have a quick spooling and mean top end truck.

Higher flowing first stage turbine gate (bypass), some tweaking to the setup and it would be a sweet little unit. It should be able to run 1:1 at 40psi on the 4202 alone, but it would not have the low end response it does with the stocker.

I am not above something like that. Probably more street friendly than a 4202 alone. Not everyones goal is world record hp and speed.

jngreen

Reaction score
I think a 4202 by itself up here would be very laggy, so do a lot of other knowledeable people, but using a stocker to spool it then gated once it's going giving you the top end boost of a 4202 makes all kinds of sense to me.

IF he didn't take the time to plumb in an intercooler, I doubt he took the time to add in a wastegate. It shouldn't really matter with smaller injectors anyways, I mean, look at the stock turbos on a 6.4 and the backpressure that get pushed to on tuned trucks. I really don't see how its much different. That OBS stock turbo should be fine, its a better unit then the Superduty ones. I have seen some guys push 40 to 50 psi out of them without an intercooler and they somehow survive.

If the guy drives with half a brain, I bet it will work just fine as a daily driver/tow rig.

Charles

Reaction score
With a decent gate on the GTP38 and a GT45 first stage, or JB47 depending on money, there is no reason that truck couldn't make over 600rwhp with a 1:1 boost/drive ratio and tow like a freight train. No reason whatsoever.

The 42 is just too small, and that GTP38 is going to take a LOTTA gate. But... there is no reason it couldn't run 11's.

Big Bore

Reaction score
With a decent gate on the GTP38 and a GT45 first stage, or JB47 depending on money, there is no reason that truck couldn't make over 600rwhp with a 1:1 boost/drive ratio and tow like a freight train. No reason whatsoever.

The 42 is just too small, and that GTP38 is going to take a LOTTA gate. But... there is no reason it couldn't run 11's.

If the GTP38 has the proper gating (like completely bypassed) then at that point for all intents and purposes you would be running a 4202, which seems to be capable of over 700HP. To keep drive pressures down wouldn't you run the largest exhaust housing possible on the 4202?

Jake

Reaction score
I wonder how much gate you would need to get around the GTP38 or the van turbo ? One 60mm be enough to keep the drive pressure reasonable? I was originally looking at doing it, to have a faster spooling tow setup and be plenty happy with 400~rwhp. Thinking about a S488.

Charles

Reaction score
I wonder how much gate you would need to get around the GTP38 or the van turbo ? One 60mm be enough to keep the drive pressure reasonable? I was originally looking at doing it, to have a faster spooling tow setup and be plenty happy with 400~rwhp. Thinking about a S488.

To gate the whole thing you'd basically need the flowable area of both uppipes. Which is probably around 60mm. A 60 should do the job.

Jake

Reaction score
To gate the whole thing you'd basically need the flowable area of both uppipes. Which is probably around 60mm. A 60 should do the job.

Yeah that's what I thought but $1200 in gates will almost get ya another turbo, granted you will still need one gate regardless. At least going to a t4 flange turbo will givealmost endless options.

Cat_rebel

Reaction score
What about running a gate like Bean's did on on that OBS with the D66 on the stock OBS charger? Run a 160-100 to a 250/100 size injector & tune & gate accordingly. I think like Chris & some others said, not the end all setup but it would prob make for a fun daily driver/tow pig. If it was dialed in correctly might even be able to skip the intercooler & save plumbing on an OBS.

I know Jim Rosewood ran a stock turbo with a HT3B & 275cc A codes with decent results. Reall need to get him to chime in.

Latest posts

Members online