7.3 fan clutch noise

Diesel625

Reaction score
how loud is the fan clutch upgrade supposed to actually be? I’ve had it for a few years, but I can’t remember how loud it was when I originally installed it. I hadn’t used the truck for a while due to bad head gaskets. It holds the ect to 198-202F all day, even in 105F south Texas weather. To me, it sounds the same from the minute I turn on the truck, until it’s turned off. Towing 25k it holds the ects to 205F on average, so it’s doing its job. I’ve though about going back to the oem fan clutch to reduce the noise, but there’s too many benefits to having the manual clutch during the heat of the year.

Tiha

Super Moderator
Super Mod
Reaction score
I had never heard my fan fully engage or disengage. Not sure which upgrade you are talking about.

Thought for sure at one point my clutch was bad, went to ford and ponnied up for a new one and it did the exact same things. It was on when I thought it should be free wheeling.

Eventually I swapped to the 6.0 fan and so far it has been quieter. I get a little bit of a drone noise but I am still not sure it is from the 6.0 fan blade.

AC works much better at idle though.

Diesel625

Reaction score
It seems like it’s always engaged. Noise is very loud until I get into 6th gear. I know part of the noise if from the rpm’s rising through the gears, but it seems too loud. I may just order another Hayden fan clutch and compare. Although it’s noisy, it does a very good job.

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
Reaction score
Few things here of little to no value.

Working on 6.0s for 15 years. Never had one that had issues with the factory fan not keeping it cool. Yes the clutches go out, yes the wires get cut(usually from someone not locking it in place with shroud. But for most part they do the job. I've probably only driven 3 that you actually heard the clutch more than 70% duty cycle and that's usually a 450/550 highway with ac going.

My 7.3 occasionally gets morning sickness where after a good run in the summer the fan is kinda locky when first taking off in the morning and that's it... 2002 original, 275kish.

I think these were kinda gimmicky

Diesel625

Reaction score
I never really had a problem with the oem electric controlled clutch not doing its job. However, my truck always ran warmer with it. Originally, I ran the blue wire mod and had read about the 7.3 manual fan clutch. The benefits sounded good so i gave it a try. Years ago I had a manual Hayden clutch fail and not engage, and have had 2 oem style fan clutches fail stuck on, so I’ve had issues both ways.

Reaction score
If you search around you will find several people having issues with aftermarket obs 7.3 fan clutches constantly staying engaged.

I personally have recently had 3 brand new clutches stay fully engaged. I ended up swapping back on the oem clutch.

Hayden specifically seems to have a lot of issues. Maybe try dieselsites obs fan clutch.

Latest posts

Members online