7.3 is getting some love

97cherokee

Reaction score
so i sold my 6.7 the other day and plan too drop some money into my old 7.3
currently it has 180/30 full force inejctors, 1023 tunes on a php hydra and a stock turbo that has a non wastegated 1.0 housing with a kc turbine and a 66mm compressor conversion i believe. this turbo setup runs very high egts, probably because i didnt do much research years ago and jsut slapped it together. anyhow i plan too go with a a kc300x series, but the debate is stage 1 or 2? looks like stg 1 a 180/30 is the biggest you can go... im not here looking too make the most power, just too tow well and not be constantly downshifting.... typically towing i cruse at 70mph, not much mroe which puts me around 2-2200 rpms. weight being towed would be a max of 14k. i also plan to do a csf upgraded bar and plate style intercooler, afe intercooler piping, and a idp full regualted return system.

side note i plan too do a lot of maintenance work that should be done on a 380k truck. for a stock radiator is tyc a good one?

Addicted4

Reaction score
Check for boost leaks and exhaust leaks, then revise tuning if you have high egts in a tow tune. My 250/80 with a stock turbo and ported housing runs 1000* max in my tow tune so tuning is key as well as mechanically. Save the money for a t4 364.5sxe

dmd

Reaction score
Most tow tunes will shift down to get higher RPM to increase boost to keep the temps lower.

Remember this isnt your 6.7, it is 20+ year old technology that has limits that 6.7 didnt have. You will probably have to shift down and slow down a little.

I also run Lubrication Engineers 8700 oil in my 7.3, it really helped clean out the ring landings, get the compression back, and lessen the blow-by. Stopped having to add oil between changes too.

97cherokee

Reaction score
so I've actually checked compression at 350k and it had 400-430 on all cylinders. I was very impressed, doesnt use anything asides from what it seeps.

97cherokee

Reaction score
well I decided early this morning to go with the kc300 stg1, on top of that I ordered new up pipes, caf intercooler, new intercooler piping and an intake pipe. some of this is being done just. but should take care of any leaks it may have. I do believe my egt issue stems from the 1.0 housing I have.

but it is most definitely not the 6.7 when it comes too towing and never will be, but by the same token it's not as expensive or as sensitive too maintain.

Addicted4

Reaction score
1.0 housing isn’t causing the high egt issue. What are your egts in your tow tune?

97cherokee

Reaction score
according to my gauge itll easily hit 1250 which isnt hard too hit unloaded either. no noticeable exhaust or intake leaks

97cherokee

Reaction score
when it is building boost in the higher rpms thereits drop a good bit, been over 2 yrs since I've towed with it so I couldn't tell you what it does towing anymore.

Addicted4

Reaction score
Must smoke as well? Sounds like a tuning issue or leaks or both. How healthy is the hpop, icp and duty cycle?

97cherokee

Reaction score
I'm not sure to be honest, tell me what I need too check and I can do that. I have a scan tool with live monitoring. I appreciate the help alot

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
Reaction score
Need to see what IPR % it's at during certain ICP.

Higher the IPR% then the more worn the pump is.

97cherokee

Reaction score
Need to see what IPR % it's at during certain ICP.

Higher the IPR% then the more worn the pump is.

so I've already tossed around the idea of a new pump, I've resealed it but that's it.... think I'll just add it too the parts list.

Addicted4

Reaction score
I believe you need to find out why you have high egts in your tow program before throwing parts at the ole girl.

Tiha

Super Moderator
Super Mod
Reaction score
Tow program is important but I just bought a KC300x and I love it.

Difference though I am running .84 housing.

On their website they say, for under 2500 rpm operation you will get lower egts with .84 housing.
For over 2500 rpms you will want 1.0
I confirmed this with them and Full Force agreed.

I am running 180/0 I rarely hit 2500 ever, even with 4.10 rear end.
It will build boost at 1000 rpms. Pretty wild really compared to before.

Biggest problem I have is I keep buying tunes from everyone and I still have not found one I like to drive. Typically enjoy tow tunes the best but engine noise, shift points, egts, everything is so different among them.
Right now I am daily driving a hot street tune from TW. Seem to like the engine noise and shifting the best from that one, but not the best for towing at all.

97cherokee

Reaction score
Tow program is important but I just bought a KC300x and I love it.

Difference though I am running .84 housing.

On their website they say, for under 2500 rpm operation you will get lower egts with .84 housing.
For over 2500 rpms you will want 1.0
I confirmed this with them and Full Force agreed.

I am running 180/0 I rarely hit 2500 ever, even with 4.10 rear end.
It will build boost at 1000 rpms. Pretty wild really compared to before.

Biggest problem I have is I keep buying tunes from everyone and I still have not found one I like to drive. Typically enjoy tow tunes the best but engine noise, shift points, egts, everything is so different among them.
Right now I am daily driving a hot street tune from TW. Seem to like the engine noise and shifting the best from that one, but not the best for towing at all.

ive been happy with my 1023 tunes, my problem with the egts is below 2500 rpms. which kc 300x did you go with? i ordered up the 63/68 with the .84ar. and i will be running 180/30s. my turbo doesnt really start too build boost till 1500 + and it just smokes for the most part till around 2100. i believe my turbo concotion is just a poor build. i didnt really know much about what i was doing when i built, it just through it together lol.

97cherokee

Reaction score
I believe you need to find out why you have high egts in your tow program before throwing parts at the ole girl.

while i do agree, i kind of have an open budget and plan too keep the truck around for a long long time. it does have 380k on it and as far as i know its the original hpop. asides from boost and exhuast leaks im not sure what else too look for on this truck. i have new intercooler, piping, intake y and up pipes on the way with the turbo. up pipes arent leaking too my knowledge, but they were last done 8 or so years ago and it was another 175$ from full force. intercooler and all the piping/hoses are orignal. already has an s-b intake and 4 in exhaust so its not an intake or exh restriction.

now if someone can point me in the direction of what i need too monitor on the hpop for egt issues im happy too! or other items too check. also how would one go about verifying egt probe/gauges accuracy?

Addicted4

Reaction score
Go drive it with the scanner hooked up and see what the icp is at when it’s smoking and the duty cycle. Also see on a wot run what the hpop can do. If you have a open budget then I highly recommend hybrid injectors to everyone who wants a towing monster with low egts and great power. I towed 5k last weekend and my truck can lug all the way down to 1250rpms in overdrive and I can accelerate with no smoke or High egts of course I’m no mashing the throttle just rolling into it or it will downshift

97cherokee

Reaction score
Give us some details on the truck, yr, trans, mods, tires, gearing?

i completely missed all that, my apologies.

2001, 4r100 ccsb 4x4, 4 in lift, 35x12.50 with stock 3.73s. the trans does have a john woods valve body and a 6.0 trans cooler.

it also has 180/30s from full force ( i would like too retain these for now) they only have 10k on them
riff raff frx and hrx although i ordered an irate complete regulated return with the beans sump
typical banjo fitting upgrade

truck does have 380k, ive owned it for 110k, asides from routine maintenance, typical glowplugs, injectors and then cups, oil leaks. i havent had too do much which is why ive approached this open bookish after selling my 6.7

Reaction score
Don’t waste a lot of time with that D66 turbo. At the time that came out there wasn’t a lot available so we did what we could. It was reported to have the same exact problems you are reporting. Over and over folks were fighting high EGT.
Time has moved on and the SXE Series and the KC drop in turbos came along.
I would do all the health checks and then move into a 364.5 or even a 363 or a KC . Just skip the D66.