7.3 no start

Denver

Reaction score
Just wanted to update this thread. Not one hickup or no start from the truck at all since replacing the batteries. Now has 275K miles.

Denver

Reaction score
Figure I'd give an update. Truck hasn't had any starting issues since replacing the batteries whenever I did. Has 308K miles on it and haven't done anything other than oil changes with Travellers oil, motorcraft fuel filters, and resealed the oil cooler couple months ago.

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
Figure I'd give an update. Truck hasn't had any starting issues since replacing the batteries whenever I did. Has 308K miles on it and haven't done anything other than oil changes with Travellers oil, motorcraft fuel filters, and resealed the oil cooler couple months ago.
Travelers oil? You ****in with me?

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
Reaction score
After all these years I finally decided that powerstrokes do not beat up the oil like we all thought. We all thought oh man it sees 4k psi the oils going to be nasty... And in reality it's absolutely fine.

Cheap oil, expensive oil run what ya want just change it when needed.

The only problem I ever had was running amsoil 15w40. The icp would scatter and I'd fish bite all the time. It was super happening all the time. I was convinced my pickup was cracked. Until I tried Mobil 1 5w40 and all is well. Unreal.

I equate oil snobs to religious fools. Do anything to get you to drink the Kool aid and shame you.

I run Amazon oil in my SHO and Highlander. Both are clear to run 7k miles with no issue. If they bottled a 5w40 I'd run that in IROC and 7.3 as well.

Tiha

Super Moderator
Super Mod
Reaction score
I run Amazon oil in my SHO and Highlander. Both are clear to run 7k miles with no issue. If they bottled a 5w40 I'd run that in IROC and 7.3 as well.
I am in this camp.

I run a 0W-40 full synthetic I think it is citgo. Can't remember. Not ever had any issues. Run it in all my diesels, 6.7 and 7.3 have a ton of miles on it.

Back in the 90s. The company I work for, we were using sunoco. Pretty cheap "crappy" oil at the time. Our sales cars were Chevy Luminas. At 200K miles they were still running and the oil would come out looking like brand new at 5K miles.

Kind of proved to me that if you pay attention, change it when you should or sooner, pretty much any oil out there will work.

dsberman94

Reaction score
On the other hand I’ve stopped buying expensive oil for new vehicles. It fuel dilutes so bad in the normal oil change interval that there’s no point in buy an oil advertised to go 20,000 miles.

Powerstroke Cowboy

Reaction score
I am in this camp.

I run a 0W-40 full synthetic I think it is citgo. Can't remember. Not ever had any issues. Run it in all my diesels, 6.7 and 7.3 have a ton of miles on it.

Back in the 90s. The company I work for, we were using sunoco. Pretty cheap "crappy" oil at the time. Our sales cars were Chevy Luminas. At 200K miles they were still running and the oil would come out looking like brand new at 5K miles.

Kind of proved to me that if you pay attention, change it when you should or sooner, pretty much any oil out there will work.
Hey, I tried to find a cheap 0w40 and couldn't. If you get a chance to see what you run I would appreciate it. Sounds like good oil for our cold winters.

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
After all these years I finally decided that powerstrokes do not beat up the oil like we all thought. We all thought oh man it sees 4k psi the oils going to be nasty... And in reality it's absolutely fine.

Cheap oil, expensive oil run what ya want just change it when needed.

The only problem I ever had was running amsoil 15w40. The icp would scatter and I'd fish bite all the time. It was super happening all the time. I was convinced my pickup was cracked. Until I tried Mobil 1 5w40 and all is well. Unreal.

I equate oil snobs to religious fools. Do anything to get you to drink the Kool aid and shame you.

Lmao! Or the fact that we have done hundreds or thousands of oil analysis to see what oils hold up..

Tiha

Super Moderator
Super Mod
Reaction score
Hey, I tried to find a cheap 0w40 and couldn't. If you get a chance to see what you run I would appreciate it. Sounds like good oil for our cold winters.
I just checked, looks like this drum is actually 5w-40 Citgard 1000 full synthetic. The 0w-40 drum I had ordered when I still had my 6.0. Once I gave up on that truck I only had the 7.3 so that drum lasted me a bunch of years.

Not fair comparison. I work for an oil distributor. When the drum runs dry I see what else is on the dead stock list at our locations. I can usually get them at cost or free if it has been sitting long enough.

I remember we used to run Shell 15w-40 in the big trucks. We started extending our drain intervals and when we got over 12k miles the engine would just start drinking the stuff.

So we swapped to mobil 1300. Not only did our oil consumption stop but we were amazed as how many oil leaks dried up. Weird, I know. But it happened. When we started handling Citgo oils we had to try it, the cost difference as you can imagine was pretty big.

The citgard series has always done everything we asked of it at a fraction of the mobil costs.

I know there are a lot of die hard oil critics out there. My own kids will not run anything but motorcraft oil.

It is normal for people to want to be right and believe they are right. That is perfectly fine, but really there is no reason to knock someone's oil choice.

There will be plenty of time to laugh and make fun of them after the engine blows up. LOL

Denver

Reaction score
Update, again. I don't drive the truck much since I got a company truck. I've driven it about 5 times in the past 4 months and it's been having a sluggish start. I had the batteries tested and the passenger side battery was on it's was out. Both have a 12/20 date so I replaced both. Truck has 316K miles now and haven't had any type of no start problems. Drove it 700 miles yesterday and no hickups. Fired it up in mid 40 temps and no coughing, chugging, or clacking. Original injectors and still using Travellers oil.

Tiha

Super Moderator
Super Mod
Reaction score
I've driven it about 5 times in the past 4 months and it's been having a sluggish start. I had the batteries tested and the passenger side battery was on it's was out.
Do you have the ability to put it on a battery maintainer?

I did that on my 1995 and it has pretty awesome, truck is always ready to go. I don't screw around trying to start it and let it run every month or two. It may sit for 6 months and it will fire right up and go.
Things like the brake controller has an LED that is on 24/7 then of course fancy radios, and I added some power outlets that have LED indicators on them. I don't worry about trying to shut that stuff off, or unhooking batteries.

Maintainers are not the best on batteries and if I tested them they may fail, but I have been doing it for almost 6 years now and not once had a slow or no start.

In edit, actually yes I did have a no start once, the maintainer I had on there failed and actually drained the batteries. But luckily it didn't seem to destroy the batteries.

Latest posts

Members online