7.3 parts that cross over?

WILD_PHIL

Reaction score
I'm wondering what parts will switch between the various 7.3s? Meaning Superduty to OBS to pre Powerstrokes. Injectors, turbo, heads, anything that will swap out I'd be interested in hearing about.

E99 F350/zf6/guages/arp/comp/stellite/ billet wheel/ bellowed... Need more fuel and more air.

psduser1

Reaction score
Superduty and obs engines are the same, with minor wiring differences, i.e.fuel systems. Turbos require all the parts to swap between them.
As far as earlier idi s, pretty much nothing interchanges.

TyCorr

Reaction score
The 7.3 idi is not the same at all other than the rated displacement. Not even the oil pan.

Reaction score
Superduty and obs engines are the same, with minor wiring differences, i.e.fuel systems. Turbos require all the parts to swap between them.
As far as earlier idi s, pretty much nothing interchanges.

Be careful painting with such a broad brush. For instance early heads don't have as many intake manifold bolts.
So if you put an early OBS engine in an SD you may have problems with the SD intake manifolds. Early OBS engines use the IH truck thermostat. Early OBS engines have a different set up for oil to the HPOP and have to have a custom HPOP to run a 17* or other performance pump.

So in general they are the same with some differences that can cause issues with the 94 to 95.5 engines. And of course the differeces in the set up between 94-97 in general, early 99 and 99-2003.

WILD_PHIL

Reaction score
I appreciate the info guys. Earlier this year I decided to do a Powerstroke trail rig. My decision came from the prefrence of putting money in to my DD when things go wrong with the trail rig. IE: sticks go out on the trail rig, I'd swap them from my DD to the rig and upgrade my DD sticks, and so on. I ask about swapping parts to see what my year model options are.

E99 F350/zf6/guages/arp/comp/stellite/ billet wheel/ bellowed... Need more fuel and more air.

Latest posts

Members online