7.3 rebuild

97cherokee

Reaction score
hey guys im working on rebuilding an engine for my 01. ive got the block checked out and bored .030 and main bores checked for alignment. this was a junkyard engine and when i got it torn down i found that it had broken a lifter hold down and bent the push tube. i inspected the cam and didnt see any issues with it. i plan to install a new set of lifters, new push tubes and get the heads rebuilt. i also picked up a set of stock forged rods for it. i plan on at the max this engine making 450 hp in its life with me so what would be some good upgrades to do while i am inside it? i dont think head studs will be needed. but i am open to suggestions! im really looking to fix any weak points in this engine. i am currently running swamps stage two injectors and a 38r turbo with custom tunes, so nothing to exciting. what is a comprehensive rebuild kit and a good brand? thanks!!!

Arisley

Reaction score
Weld the oil spouts on the bottom of the pistons. Have the sharp edges removed from the dish in the top of the pistons. Balance every piston/rod assembly. Deburr all oil passages. Weld the cam gear to the camshaft.

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
Reaction score
was this a PMR motor that you plan to stuff forged rods in?

97cherokee

Reaction score
yeah its a pmr engine getting factory forged rods, and the rotating assembly is still at the machine shop for balancing.

TARM

Reaction score
Sorry did not finish the post:

put a nice tig weld on piston oil jet tube where it meats the mounting base plate. Hell you could even put a tack weld on the mounting bolt once its tq to spec. I think you can now buy welded ones as I saw them on Rif the other day.

Cooler_Jet.JPG

Here is the link to the ones sold on Rif http://www.riffraffdiesel.com/welded-piston-oil-jets/

__

m j

Reaction score
get the ford kit from riffraff, the best deal going. upgrade the pistons to cut bowls.
the contents of the kit for the $$ will amaze you

Latest posts

Members online