7.3 swap, motors out....Upgrades?

Ruger5901

Reaction score
This is my first time really toying with a 7.3. We're putting it in a 93 cclb. It had a 5.8. The motor is out and just looking for some preventative mods and small performance but nothing huge. Does everyone run a different downpipe because I can't see how the flat one helps the motor at all?

obspsd

Reaction score
yes a 3 inch dp will really help that thing breath. maybe do a intake and a ts chip to bring it alive

obspsd

Reaction score
^^^nope. if the pan isn't leaking then i wouldn't waste your time resealing it

ghohouston

Reaction score
A great number, no. And ill assume you know there isnt a "gasket" and that they just used the grey silicone from the factory. If it were my truck, I would do it. Its a few minutes extra worth of work to ensure you wont have to pull the motor again for a leaking oil pan.

TyCorr

Reaction score
A great number, no. And ill assume you know there isnt a "gasket" and that they just used the grey silicone from the factory. If it were my truck, I would do it. Its a few minutes extra worth of work to ensure you wont have to pull the motor again for a leaking oil pan.

Yea, if its out and you live in the rustbelt its a good idea.

neverkickn

Reaction score
I am we'll aware of what makes the gasket. How many have you seen leak? I am not talking about a leak caused by corrosion either. I mean an otherwise clean, perfectly good oil pan with a leak between the pan and motor,front cover or rear cover.

ghohouston

Reaction score
The company I work for has a fleet of over 400 powerstrokes, about 1/4 of them are 7.3's. Ive seen a few leak. Im not saying that it will ever leak, but I would do it for reassurance.

TyCorr

Reaction score
Another one, albeit one you dont need to pull a motor to do, is a melling m208 low pressure oil pump. Its a good insurance policy against oil issues provided you ensure the condition of your oil pickup tube.

I replaced every seal I could and rebuilt my oil cooler as well. Also a great opportunity to take all your electronics(starter alternators glow plugs and relays) to the repair guy and have them rebuilt. The idea is to have trouble free motoring after the refurb.

Ruger5901

Reaction score
Thanks for the info guys. Hopefully the truck will be up and running in a few weeks. If anyone can post some pics of their engine bay if they have around the same year that would help me out getting everything set in.

JD3020

Reaction score
How much money do you want to spend, and what are you're goals for this truck? Over the winter i pulled my old engine out, and got a used one off CL. I replaced just about every seal, o-ring, and gasket, welded the camshaft gear to the cam, modified the pick-up tube, added a Melling LPOP, added valvesprings, and a few other odds and ends. Not really any power mods, just thinks to help keep this thing alive for a while. Plus its 100x easier to work on these engines on a stand compared to in a truck.

Cody

Reaction score
Plus its 100x easier to work on these engines on a stand compared to in a truck.

This is a big one.. I did everything I could on a stand.. Alls I did in truck were starter turbo ground straps and of course misc heater lines. And an oil filter lol.

Made it so much easier.

JD3020

Reaction score
This is a big one.. I did everything I could on a stand.. Alls I did in truck were starter turbo ground straps and of course misc heater lines. And an oil filter lol.

Made it so much easier.

Haha, since mines in OBS i dropped it in with the turbo on and ready to roll.

Actually may pull it back out this winter to fix some oil leaks, do headstuds, and hopefully a turbo. Unless we end up buying a topside creeper.

Latest posts

Members online