99 F450 no power on cold start

mustube

Reaction score
I have a 99 F450 bucket truck here at work that has no power when you first start it for the day. You could beat this thing in a 100 yard race on foot when you first start it but once it gets up to operating temp it runs as well as you can expect a 12k lbs 7.3 truck to run. It has a slightly long crank but nothing crazy and starts okay.

Things I've checked already:
ICP is good and the truck got a new HPOP a few months ago
New ICP sensor because the old one had oil in the connector
Injectors were pulled out and sent off to be tested and were deemed fine (reinstalled with brand new o rings)
Glow plug relay works (checked at the relay with a power probe)
Fuel pressure is fine (checked with a mechanical gauge at the fuel bowl)
IPR duty cycle seems to be fine
The truck has a fresh oil change and oil is clean
Fuel filter was changed when the HPOP was put in and has maybe 200 miles on it

The truck idles fine, it just has no power until it's hot. I'm going to pull codes again here after lunch and ohm out the UVCHs. Any other ideas?

mustube

Reaction score
I should mention that this problem was present before the HPOP was put in, and the HPOP was replaced because there were metal shavings in the #2 injector bore, and the injectors were tested after this. Everything in the HPO system was cleaned and reassembled.

Arisley

Reaction score
Yeah, try wiring the EBV open. Unplug it, plug is under the turbo.

Did you check reading when cold. Is there a chip installed, if so, unplug it and see if that helps.

mustube

Reaction score
I just checked ICP again, it's been sitting for 5 hours. EOT was 80 degrees and IPR DC spiked to 50% before starting and ICP settled down to around 600 PSI and 14% IPR DC. I wonder if it would be a good idea to see what ICP does with both HPOP lines blocked off.

I'll check the EBPV tomorrow, but when we had it apart to get the injectors tested it moved freely.

Now I'm curious to know what the company that tested the injectors did to test them.

mustube

Reaction score
I meant when the arm isn't connected to the shaft in the pedestal. I guess the actuator can still get stuck. I'll check it.

mustube

Reaction score
Stock everything, no chip. Just some added electrical equipment for an inverter and emergency hydraulic pump.

Latest posts

Members online