A Few 5r Questions

Powerstroke214

Reaction score
As a few of you may know, my trans has decided to quit on me. Now I'm a novice at these engines, but know even less about how the trans works. All I really know is the shift sequence is 1-2-3-5-6 lol

My Truck: 06 ccsb, studded with 218k mi. Studded, the typical 6.0 things, AP Apex Jr. intake mani, Pmax, 175/75 injectors, traction bars, 35s

Before trans went: Truck has never been down the track, but has seen a few 3/4 throttle pulls to 100. I've attempted to be "gentle" and avoid getting on it hard in OD, as I've heard that added power and forcing it to downshift is hard on them. I've probably forced it to shift from 6L to 4th(I believe Mr. Kovalsky said they go to 4th because 3rd is too low when punching it in 6th) a hand full of times. I've also gotten it sideways quite a few times, probably daily lol. Only issues I've had have been occasional 3-5 flares* and hesitation going into reverse* and after sitting for over a week and the pmax was installed, it banged on a pull up hill, and according to the CTS went into 4th. Wouldn't coast forward under it's own power, as it was in "4th" I don't know if it was the actual 4th gear or 5th). I just drove off, it shifted into "5th"(6th) and all was well. Most it towed was another ccsb 6.0 on a tiny bumper pull, maybe for 15 mi, before that, a ford focus, scaffolding and wire and a few pieces of furniture, and a uHaul. Only the 6.0 was pulled with the current setup, everything else was stock fuel.

The Big Bang: Going to help a friend out, I stopped at my apartment to grab some tools, and I noticed a familiar, faint burning smell, and embarrassingly enough, I thought at the time "maybe that's the trans?" as there were no leaks. However, to keep myself sane, I occasionally ignore small things unless they persist or I'm given a reason to address them(CEL, running funny, something out of spec according to my CTS). We drove to the store then back to his gf's place. I'd been driving pretty tame, no tire spinning, no aggressive acceleration. The lane I was in was beginning to back up with traffic and I was coasting, and realized I needed to be in the other, clear lane. I hopped over casually and went to accelerate to maintain my speed, and BOOM. Truck spun to >4k and stopped pulling. I don't believe it was shifting. Put it in neutral then back into drive and it just free rev'd. I pulled into a parking lot and the burning smell was FAR more pronounced. In drive, it would barely creep forward when the RPMs hit 1700 or so, and was emitting a HORRIBLE screech(I'll post a vid momentarily). I forget the exact code it threw, but I believe it was something like "incorrect gear ratio."

Naturally, I asked for a few opinions on fb as to how ***t I was, and most people said it sounded like the TC took a crap or the input was dead. I sent it to a local diesel shop that doesn't specialize in transmissions(somewhat notable). The owner offered to pull and inspect the trans free of charge. Well after he pulled it, he texted me saying the TC and input looked fine, and a pic of the fluid(will post momentarily), and said that he'd have to send it off to be inspected beyond that.
The local trans shop that built the 5R in the shop owner's 6.4 would rebuild it with a DPC converter, billet input and upgraded clutches for ~3800 plus whatever was broken in the trans, the only caveat: Because he isn't a dealer for them, he won't warranty the trans with the upgraded parts, which I can understand. The shop owner runs one in his 6.4 that has been in the 11s on spray, so I'd say it's fairly stout.

My obvious concern is the lack of a warranty, and as a result I've been thinking about going with a Warren Competition trans. Unfortunately, I did not budget for this, and was toying with doing a trans next fall when I'd have the money, so those suggesting Elite or Midwest, I agree they're excellent quality but I simply can't. Warren seems to be the most cost effective and proven option, at $4k. Twisted seems to be the next best(aka cheapest and proven) option. I'm still waiting to get exact pricing quotes on my options.

And my questions, outside of snapping shafts and trashing a converter, are there any ideas as to what may have gone out? Pump grenaded maybe? CTS reads 195º as the max trans temp, so I wouldn't think that it overheated, but again, there was definitely a burning smell, which is why I initially thought it was probably a toasted converter.

Powerstroke214

Reaction score
Trans pan & fluid
d5626f70cae0bc54b39d0f2b080ffa5b.jpg

https://vimeo.com/148045343

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Myerswelder

Reaction score
Save yourself time and money and don't use twisted. My best friend owns a shop and we've had nothing but trouble with them. When I do mine I'm buying a rebuild kit from Warren's.

Reaction score
You killed the pump. Don't mess around with the rebuild ones, just spend the $700 and get a new Ford one. If you have a shop locally that will build it, have Warren send one of his Modified Direct Drums. Also make sure you add a ground strap from the transmission case to the frame. The 5R has an issue with welding up the pump gear after a rebuild due to poor grounding.

sootie

Reaction score
first thing i would do is put a gauge in the test port and see what the pressure is doing.

Powerstroke214

Reaction score
Save yourself time and money and don't use twisted. My best friend owns a shop and we've had nothing but trouble with them. When I do mine I'm buying a rebuild kit from Warren's.

Hm, first I've seen complaints about twisted. What kind of issues?

first thing i would do is put a gauge in the test port and see what the pressure is doing.

They pulled the pan and everything, as far as I know. And it's holed up at a shop and I just don't have the time right now.

I'm assuming that's to see if it's the pump that went out?

mandkole

Reaction score
Hm, first I've seen complaints about twisted. What kind of issues?

Yes, coincidentally, there is a DOA trans from twisted in 6.4 that's being investigated.

IMO, unless you plan on doing your own R&R work, Id just work with the trans shop that the 'shop owner' used. I have nothing against twisted, but for a fairly mild DD build, Id stick with a very capable trans shop that's closer to me and avoid a mail order deal. I purposely had the shop R&R the trans because if there is an issue, they will do it again. I would be pissed if I just put 6-7 hours of my own time into an R&R then had to pull it out because of a build gone wrong.

Powerstroke214

Reaction score
Yes, coincidentally, there is a DOA trans from twisted in 6.4 that's being investigated.

IMO, unless you plan on doing your own R&R work, Id just work with the trans shop that the 'shop owner' used. I have nothing against twisted, but for a fairly mild DD build, Id stick with a very capable trans shop that's closer to me and avoid a mail order deal. I purposely had the shop R&R the trans because if there is an issue, they will do it again. I would be pissed if I just put 6-7 hours of my own time into an R&R then had to pull it out because of a build gone wrong.

My issue is the lack of warranty though

Myerswelder

Reaction score
We put a stage 3 in a year ago and started slipping bad. Truck was never pulled and only dragged a few times. Sent it over a month ago and they've barely kept in touch. Put a stage 3+ ( all billet internals) installed pulled it out of shop and wouldn't shift. Sent it back took almost 3 weeks for a new. Installed the one after less than 100 hundred miles it started popping out of gear. Sent it back and after 3 weeks of them having it the guy got tired of waiting got his money back and bought a suncoast. No issues yet

swinky

Reaction score
Mhm that's why their transmissions are in all of the fastest trucks on the east coast.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

Myerswelder

Reaction score
They might be but we've had bad luck with them. That's what I was gonna run in mine until all this happened. Since my truck is my DD I need something halfway reliable

swinky

Reaction score
Sorry about your luck man. Mine has over 100 passes on it and hasn't skipped a beat.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

Myerswelder

Reaction score
We were shocked when we started having trouble, because all that I've heard is great things like you've had. I was just letting the OP know what we've been experiencing.

Mark Kovalsky

Reaction score
They pulled the pan and everything, as far as I know. And it's holed up at a shop and I just don't have the time right now.
Pulling the pan (and everything?) won't find a bad pump.

I'm assuming that's to see if it's the pump that went out?
Putting a pressure gauge on it now is a waste of time. It's always going to show 0 pressure. The trans is out of the truck, what would drive the pump?

Since it's out the way to find out what's wrong is to open the trans (remove the converter and the pump) and see what broke.

Reaction score

Putting a pressure gauge on it now is a waste of time. It's always going to show 0 pressure. The trans is out of the truck, what would drive the pump?

Since it's out the way to find out what's wrong is to open the trans (remove the converter and the pump) and see what broke.

What's your thoughts on the pump gears welding themselves up after a rebuild?

Powerstroke214

Reaction score

Oh I know, I was only asking about the pump because I thought it may be the next common thing that would go out. And like I said, don't have the truck right now, and I have finals this week, even if I did have it, wouldn't hook to test port, no time. And I know that in the condition it's in(semi apart) there's not gonna be a useful pressure reading.

I'm thinking about going with a Warren Diesel shop trans, because of price, but nothing is set in stone. I need to get in touch with them tomorrow, and a few others.

matt92idi

Reaction score
If it was me I would do a stage 1 from twisted or Red Diamond Diesel (David Ferguson ) I've seen what swinky puts his truck though first hand on spray and a lock up switch lol

Powerstroke214

Reaction score
If it was me I would do a stage 1 from twisted or Red Diamond Diesel (David Ferguson ) I've seen what swinky puts his truck though first hand on spray and a lock up switch lol

Yea, that's probably the plan. Twisted has a ridiculous wait tho. I talked with David, and I'm strongly considering his.

Latest posts

Members online