Absolute Performance leaking Intercooler. **update Installed No Limit Intercooler

TrickTruck

Reaction score
I've got the Absolute Performance Intercooler on my truck.

Been on there about 55,000mi. Truck has always used a little coolant from the secondary, but I passed that off to a slight leak from the hose connection above the passenger head. I've chased it several times, but never been able to totally eliminate it.

With the rash of AP IC's that are on FB leaking I figured I'd better check mine.
ap ic leaker.jpg

Sure enough, it's leaking. Insides of the pipes are wet too.

I've used the better part of a gallon of coolant over the last 6 years leading me to believe that it's not a severe leak.

Question 1: Is it likely I've damaged the engine now?
Question 2: I never really noticed a drop in EGT's, is an aftermarket IC really worth it or should I go back to stock?
Question 3: If an aftermarket is really helpful, which one should I choose?

TIA as always.

Last edited:

6.0 Tech

Reaction score
I've got the Absolute Performance Intercooler on my truck.

Been on there about 55,000mi. Truck has always used a little coolant from the secondary, but I passed that off to a slight leak from the hose connection above the passenger head. I've chased it several times, but never been able to totally eliminate it.

With the rash of AP IC's that are on FB leaking I figured I'd better check mine.
View attachment 116254
Sure enough, it's leaking. Insides of the pipes are wet too.

I've used the better part of a gallon of coolant over the last 6 years leading me to believe that it's not a severe leak.

Question 1: Is it likely I've damaged the engine now?
Question 2: I never really noticed a drop in EGT's, is an aftermarket IC really worth it or should I go back to stock?
Question 3: If an aftermarket is really helpful, which one should I choose?

TIA as always.

Doubt you’ve hurt the motor at all. Not sure on the actual benefit from an aftermarket intercooler on the 6.7s, as it’s water to air, so it’s only going to get as cool as the water. On a mostly stock truck stock is probably fine, if you’re pushing higher boost levels, like much higher, a no limit is probably the go to.

I’ve seen plenty of factory coolers leak, and also seen plenty of aftermarket ones leak as well. Think the only benefit from the aftermarket is they are mad or higher quality aluminum, and shouldn’t leak as easy as a factory one at higher boost levels.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Powerstroke Cowboy

Reaction score
Stock ones are known to leak. Some bad enough to throw codes.

When I have the need It will be a No Limit IC. Costs a pretty penny, but it should be worth it.

With the little bit of coolant you have used I dought it could hurt the engine at all.

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
Reaction score
Take an oil sample and see if there is coolant present. Or change it. I'd be curious and I'm an oil sampler so I'd love to know

sootie

Reaction score
The motor won't be hurt. No reason for an aftermarket I/C anyway....go back to stock.

sootie

Reaction score
Wrong. 50+psi daily on a 200k mile stocker for over five years ....I even kept a spare in case but never needed it.

TrickTruck

Reaction score
Well, I ordered the No Limit IC from Dark Side Diesel. :)

Should be here Friday.

Wondering if I really need to drain all the coolant out or can I just clamp the lines.

6.0 Tech

Reaction score
Well, I ordered the No Limit IC from Dark Side Diesel. :)

Should be here Friday.

Wondering if I really need to drain all the coolant out or can I just clamp the lines.

You can just clamp the lines. Just make sure you do the one after the tee, otherwise it will piss coolant still if you clamp it before the tee

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TrickTruck

Reaction score
Showed up at 1pm Friday. I had somewhere I needed to be at 7 that was an hour's drive away. Dig in!

The NL IC is a beast, feels like at least twice the weight of the AP unit and quite a bit larger physically.

I tried clamping lines and all I did was make a mess dumping coolant all over. So for those of you doing this in the future, drain your secondary and a little from the primary. It's save you a mess and $$ in buying coolant.

The coolant hose provided w/ the NL IC didn't seem to fit. I called NL and they acknowledged that they had moved the coolant inlet line and were working on a new hose, but that it might be a year before it was ready. He seemed to think it would still fit. I could not make it work so I re-used the AP coolant line. The top elbow needed to be shortened a little. Also, that the instructions were a postage stamp QR code I needed to navigate to on the web. The Tech at NL sent me some 'old' (according to him) photos.

Getting that big biotch in place is a bit of a PITA, the darn rubber shelf thingie kept falling off so I superglued it to the IC. Then while I was waiting for it to dry I installed the SOTF switch for the new Proven tune.

The charge pipe elbow was interfering with the coolant lines that are in that area. I just stuffed it in place, it's bowed a bit, hope it lasts as AP is gone now so IDK where I'd get another elbow if I needed one. A bit concerned about this.

Wifey and toddler showed up around 4:15 wondering about all the coolant on the ground. So I sent them to the store for a couple gallons of premix while I finished up the job.

5:30 rolled around and I topped it off with coolant (needed almost a gallon) while the tune was loading. Started the truck and took it for a run. Babied it until it was nearly up to temp (I don't like to hammer it when it's cold.)

Dropped the hammer on tune L1 from about 10mph.

Silver leapt off and boost went to 25psi, while still at WOT I switched it to L5 and she roared and boosted to 35+psi. I stayed in the throttle till I got in sight of the corner and let off. Good enough, seems to be working.

Back home, I cleaned up the tools, looked for leaks and headed for a shower, ended up 20min late for the event.

I hammered it once or twice on my way and everything seems OK. Still a little wiff of coolant, but I figure that's just from what spilled (I did wash it good w/ a hose.) I don't see any leaks so hopefully it's just residue from the mess I made.

Can't wait until I can get out and tow heavy with it and see if EGT's come down any.

Plusses
It's Big! And Heavy!
Looks well designed

Minuses
Coolant hose routing is sketchy, IMHO
Moved the charge pipe outlet location towards the front of the truck making the charge pipe elbow interfere with coolant hoses.
No physical instructions and I missed the QR code postage stamp paper. My bad.
A little tricky getting that big thing in there.

Latest posts

Members online