Advanced timing to decrease smoke, WMO

bucklee00

Reaction score
Is this needed? I have seen one person talk about it in one thread with dp tuner but have not heard anything else about it.

Who all does it? Who all does not?
If you don't advance it do you run performance/tow tunes made for d2, or just keep the stock tune?

glamis

Reaction score
no the guys that are advanceing their timeing,are those with pre powerstrokes
the 6.9 and the 7.3 idi,they have injection pumps and different injectors,so advaceing helps,by giving the brew a longer time to burn//read more complete combustion

OBS F350

Reaction score
no the guys that are advanceing their timeing,are those with pre powerstrokes
the 6.9 and the 7.3 idi,they have injection pumps and different injectors,so advaceing helps,by giving the brew a longer time to burn//read more complete combustion

Tuning on Powerstroke engines also consists of advancing timing.

glamis

Reaction score
well om not sure that that is correct.
the one guy i heard of useing w80 tunes,was useing a dp chip
and i thought i recalled jody comming on the thread and saying actually he took away some timeing to make the tune work like it did.

bucklee00

Reaction score
Glamis -Yes that's what I remember reading also but I can't find that thread again. He said his truck was smoking , and he remembered that the idi guys would change timing for decreased smoke, so he talked to Jody about the tunes.

do you run w80 with tunes made for diesel ? And does it smoke noticeably more than d2?

glamis

Reaction score
Glamis -Yes that's what I remember reading also but I can't find that thread again. He said his truck was smoking , and he remembered that the idi guys would change timing for decreased smoke, so he talked to Jody about the tunes.

do you run w80 with tunes made for diesel ? And does it smoke noticeably more than d2?

yes my tunes are about 5 years old
dp 6 position chip 40tow,60tow,80tow,120race(un useable,allways was)
and high idle

60 tow for when im towing with w80
80 tow when im running around empty hot dogging it,as i do
and no it dont smoke alot more than d2,a little more but not alot more

the secret is real simple and i discovered it early on
my powerstroke hates straight w80
but with 6-7 gallons of d2 and the rest w80
she purrs away just fine.

dont become so damm cheap that you become unwilling to buy d2
a little d2 in every tank,and my equitment is just fine.

one more thing that helped my smokeing issue was the prefilter screens inside the fuel tank were totally clogged(read i dont know how it even ran)
i did the hutch mod,harpooned the tank,and added a 12 mic filter before the fuel pump,and the truck runs with renued passon let me say

bucklee00

Reaction score
Thanks for the advice on the d2. So you put the d2 into your truck fuel tank? How many gallons does your truck hold ? Just tying to get a percentage so I can match it in my obs

bucklee00

Reaction score
Alright I will keep that in mind. Have any other general tips or things you learned the hard way for a soon to be blender?

glamis

Reaction score
yea read the stickys
read every thread on this page,and maybe the previous page as well.

nasty6.6

Reaction score
on w85 I smoke BAD all the time, runs fine just smokey

My mix
15% gas
85% oil
each tank 5 gallons of d2 its the small tank 24 gallons I think. I am tempted to run beans alternative tune or dp alternative fuel tune. Any suggestions?

Filtered down to a 10 micron then run through a filtermaxx centrifuege and 2 mic.

bucklee00

Reaction score
I am now running w 80 with no smoke at all, except light smoke if its not up to operating temp yet. But I start up and shut down on d2 at nights. My old 97 truck has a 2 tanks stock. If I start up cold on the oil mix the truck smokes heavy for a couple miles.

you could easily rig up a small 5 gal tank for d2, and plumb it into your fuel system right before the injectors. then keep your oil blend in the stock tank. And start/stop on d2. Kind of like a wvo set up, except a small aux tank for d2. i burn about 5 gal of d2 every 2 weeks or so. Or you could try advanced timing through tuning. It seems to work with the idi and 7.3 engines.

Are you running it in a duramax?

nasty6.6

Reaction score
no sir its in a 2000 7.3 superduty. I tried w80 on premium gas and smoke was very minimal. So I am going to try another tank as stated above just a little more rug.

is anyone running wmo on bigger single shot injectors???

thanks for the help

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.