aftermarket power steering pump

slowstroke

Reaction score
What are some options for an aftermarket "super" power steering pump?

When I replaced it last time with a new stock one it couldn't turn the tires at idle from the time it was installed, the steering got way worse & now its dead 2 years later

Aaron S

Reaction score
I have talked to PSC motorsports and they dont recomend an upgraded pump. The main reason seems to be that the hydro boost does not flow enough to be able to use a higher flowing pump. The end result is a broken high flow pump.

Your new pump may have been junk or there may have been metal debris left in your system from your old failed pump, and that debris prematurely wore out your new pump.

Problems that may cause the inability to turn tires without moving:
collapsed pressure hoses
pump
worn steering box internals

The only troubleshooting seems to involve throwing parts at it.

PSC seems to recomend cylinder assist to any Superduty trucks that cant turn the tires.

slowstroke

Reaction score
It looks like another stock one with hydraulic assist is the way to go then

which hydraulic assist setup do you guys recommend?

PowerstrokeJunkie

Reaction score
I just put a new pump with lines and tapped my redhead steering box for a ram assist, it made wonders of difference. I was like you and had a dead steering wheel stopped at idle, and now I can easily spin the wheel under any condition. My only gripe which is a small tradeoff is that the extra fluid capacity needed to be moved to create pressure slowed the steering wheel speed down a little bit but at least I can turn my wheel now. the only way to fix this would be a higher flow ps pump or a smaller pulley. Haven't found a smaller pulley yet.

Latest posts

Members online