Aftermarket Projector Headlights

osage

Reaction score
I bought a 2003 7.3 over the weekend (my first purchase without a co-signer at 21) and I have been looking for a decent set of projector headlights to buy. I only work nights and constantly have to drive country roads and would greatly benefit from hids and projector housings. But every set of headlights I look at instead of having one bulb, have a spot for a separate high and low beam which won't work.

neverkickn

Reaction score
Why can't you run one with a separate high beam? Honestly I don't think there is a huge improvement with a non oem projector/hid retrofit vs a good halogen bulb in an 03 headlight. The aftermarket projectors have such a sharp cutoff that nothing above the line is visible. In my opinion, stock halogen lamps will give you better all around visibility.

Keep the stock lights in the header and the cash in your pocket.

TARM

Reaction score
The only way I have seen HID work well is when you go to the trouble of pickup up some OEM from another vehicle that had them and then reworking them into the headlight frame. There are how to videos and instructions on how to do it as well as companies or individuals that will do for a price for you.

Honestly there are even some HID OEMs that suck for the very reason Neverkickn mentioned, Hyundia comes to mind. You can not see crap outside the very sharp cut off line. Its horrible in any kind of hilly area for sure that is in high or low beam, same issue.

osage

Reaction score
I just really like the look of some of the aftermarket headlight options. I already have 55w HIDs installed but of course in the factory reflector style housing the light is all over the place. I don't enjoy blinding other drivers.
I'm aware of retrofitting projectors into the OEM housings, I did this with some Lexus projectors into my mothers Accord and it turned out very nicely.
The point of projectors is to have a perfect light cut-off so I don't see how that would be a problem.
So back to my original question, how do I use a separate high and low beam when the factory headlights are a 9007 which is both high/low. Am I looking sat the attached picture wrong, or would one of the round openings be for something other than a high beam?

Attachments

• 444-ff25099-1p-g2-sm.jpg
    444-ff25099-1p-g2-sm.jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 45

osage

Reaction score
Honestly there are even some HID OEMs that suck for the very reason Neverkickn mentioned, Hyundia comes to mind. You can not see crap outside the very sharp cut off line. Its horrible in any kind of hilly area for sure that is in high or low beam, same issue.

I never have any issues with my little rice rocket that gets driven regularly in very hilly Missouri. The low beams have a perfect cutoff as to not blind oncoming traffic, and then I have a high beam to fill in. I get off work from one job at 10PM and start my second job at 11PM so I drive it at night quite often. It does get the trailer treatment to shows though along with the bike.

Don't mind the crap fitment with the winter wheels/tires.

Attachments

• 616733_4129755237341_1063763635_o.jpg
    616733_4129755237341_1063763635_o.jpg
    314.6 KB · Views: 46
  • 416220_3050288451346_2042462067_o.jpg
    416220_3050288451346_2042462067_o.jpg
    220.6 KB · Views: 47
  • 256068_4226305691042_814676903_o.jpg
    256068_4226305691042_814676903_o.jpg
    463.7 KB · Views: 42

Josh@DirtyDiesels

Reaction score
Projector retrofits and or LED light bars FTW. Throw a 20" lightbar in the bumper and you are good to go.

neverkickn

Reaction score
The headlights you posted up are halogen projectors so yes you would want to have a dedicated high and low beam. Those headlights should have a wiring harness that plugs into the OEM plug and splits power accordingly.

You really need to swap the low beam halogen out for an hid projector and leave the high beam halogen so that it can be switched on and off without damaging get element. You can use a low beam only projector or do a bixenon projector in the low beam position. If you choose bixenon I would go with an frx from TRS or a vendor here if they can source it.

Josh@DirtyDiesels

Reaction score
The headlights you posted up are halogen projectors so yes you would want to have a dedicated high and low beam. Those headlights should have a wiring harness that plugs into the OEM plug and splits power accordingly.

You really need to swap the low beam halogen out for an hid projector and leave the high beam halogen so that it can be switched on and off without damaging get element. You can use a low beam only projector or do a bixenon projector in the low beam position. If you choose bixenon I would go with an frx from TRS or a vendor here if they can source it.

This vendor here could gladly source HID parts... ;)

osage

Reaction score

Any idea what bulb type I would then be using with these headlights?

neverkickn

Reaction score
Any idea what bulb type I would then be using with these headlights?

Not sure but the manufacturer of the head lamp would be able to tell you that.

If you retrofit an hid projector into the low beam spot it depends on which projector you use. I think the FXR uses a d2s bulb.

Last edited:

TARM

Reaction score
I never have any issues with my little rice rocket that gets driven regularly in very hilly Missouri. The low beams have a perfect cutoff as to not blind oncoming traffic, and then I have a high beam to fill in. I get off work from one job at 10PM and start my second job at 11PM so I drive it at night quite often. It does get the trailer treatment to shows though along with the bike.

Don't mind the crap fitment with the winter wheels/tires.

All I know is, unless I put on the high beams, when ever I go up or down on a hill, the distance to see forward is cut down severely compared to any halogen light setup in a similar hieght car. I fully understand why the cut off is there and thus is the issue with HIDs over all unless they are in auto-adjusting housings( big $$$$$ option) but they do make the very best HID performance. The BMW adaptive HID setup makes the Hyundai lights look like a dollar store pen light in coverage forget the quality of the light itself. No issues at all with hills etc.

I love having bright crisp light not just for driving but in handheld and weapons mounted it is just one of the quirks when it comes to use in on streets in hilly area especially in the country.

I guess is someways maybe even a combo of light tech is the ideal setup even in a low beam coverage scenario.

The best aftermarket HID setups I ever saw performance as well as ascetically pleasing was using IIRC ones from a 2013 BWM adaptive HID headlight retro'd to fit into a housing that fit a Chevy 3500. I looked but I can not find the pic I took.

Some of the new brake lights are cool to where the light intensity goes up and down with the amount of brake pedal force so you know how hard the person in front you is stomping on the brake.

Anyways back to the subject matter.

Latest posts

Members online