Another no start

Reaction score
2003 6.0l truck was running fine one day, stopped to fuel up turned truck off and it wouldn't restart. Finally got truck started after it cooled down, lacked power and eventually died again and had it towed. Longer story short truck has sat for about a year and am now back on the road of getting it going again. hooked the truck up too the AE and ipr % was about 82% at idle so we replaced the ipr with oem part and no luck still at 82% or wherever it was hanging. So tore into the valve covers and pressurized the driver side oil rail and didn't seem to hear much of a leak but went ahead and replaced all injector orings and nipple cup orings, put everything back together and nothing. Still ipr% at 82% if you can get it to start and if it does start it dies after 5ish minutes when oil thins down. So now I am here, with 1 exception the only problem I have came across is the check valve that the high pressure oil line connects to on the hpo rail on passenger side seemed to literally be hand tight, so pulled it off and oring was broken. Replaced broken oring with a random oring (I knew this may not work being under 3500psi) and after everything was buttoned up still same problem persist. So ordered new oring from ford today but my question is now does that oring play such a vital role for the truck not to run at all or should I start looking forward to ordering a new hpop or am I totally overlooking something else. Any help would be appreciated as I'm stumped. Thanks

pdumont01

Reaction score
way to test pump is to install block off adapters to deadhead the pump then crank engine and get a reading.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Wildman

Reaction score
will a bad hpop still make some pressure? if so then it makes sense, any way to test the hpop?

The early (2003) Rexroth pumps are tricky. They will often produce sufficient pressure during testing (dead headed), but will not support the volume of oil needed to operate the injectors. The HPOP can be dead-headed by blocking off the outlets and cranking the engine, but as stated, the pressure results may be misleading. If you have no high pressure oil leaks and still can't build ICP, the culprit is the HPOP.

jake74

Reaction score
If you can't build low pressure oil and icp pressure is low the check ball has fallen out of the hpop.

SlowSmoke

Reaction score
Sounds like hpop to me. Especially being an 03. Did you check for leaks on both sides with the covers off? If there's no leaks and the IPR is new there isn't much else.

Reaction score
ive been wondering the same thing about the check ball in the hpop, if it is out would that prevent the truck from building low pressure oil? the truck shows that it is building plenty of low pressure oil on the gauge on the dash. and as far as leaks under valve covers I have had both sides off and thought maybe nipple cup seals may have slight leak so I rebuilt both oil rails and all 8 injectors. So im assuming hpop, do I go ahead and order one before pulling old one out or should I wait at chances of it being major blowout of oring or check ball on hpop.

jake74

Reaction score
Mine would not build low pressure oil while cranking. It would after it cranked and you revved on it.

Reaction score
Well I believe I found the problem lol

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    13 KB · Views: 70

jake74

Reaction score
I think that might do it lol. Odd it popped the snap ring out. Must have exploded internally and popped it out.

Reaction score
I guess so I've had a hard time finding anyone with the same problem but that's how it was pulled out. Totally peeled back like that. I'm surprised it was making and pressure at all

Latest posts

Members online